vii. alfred's witan

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Uhtred, Gisela, Finan, and Althea all walk into the Witan, with news of her sister. Her mother looks over at her with tears in her as if looking for any information on her sister through Althea's eyes.

"Lord, Lady Ælswith. I'm here with news of Aethelflæd."

"From the Northman."

"From my own spies, who sleep within the walls of Beamfleot, lord. Aethelflæd is alive, my men have seen her with their own eyes." Althea and Gisela loop their arms together in comfort as Finan leans against her.

"Oh, praise him." Ælswith speaks with happiness.

"Praise him to the heavens." Alfred agrees.

"Then why have they not made their demand clear."

"They have been spreading news of their hostage, lord." Uhtred informs.

"Boasting...about seizing a woman." Aethelred says in disbelief.

"Boasting of the great army they will raise with the ransom." Uhtred said.

"This is what I fear, lord. No man in this hall should be in any doubt when their demand arrives they will be considerable as will be the consequences." Odda speaks up.

"Of course, they'll make outrageous demands. That is the purpose of strong negotiation to ensure there is agreement." Alfred says looking over at his spare daughter and noticing her eyes were bloodshot from crying. He frowned seeing Gisela comfort his daughter and it didn't escape him that she often sought out Uhtred and his wife throughout childhood.

"You intend to negotiate, lord?" Odda questions.

"I intend to recover my daughter."

"Regardless of the price, lord. Mercia is not a land of plenty, far from it." Selwine informs nervously.

"Wessex shall pay its share of silver, and if necessary its share of blood. I will do what needs to be done, if that means negotiation then I will negotiate." Alfred demands.

"Lord, I would advise that you don't attend the negotiation. The presence of the king and father would only serve to increase their price." Uhtred says.

"But if not the king, then who?" The Witan began to clamor about and Althea walked to Uhtred who moved an arm around her shoulder.

"There will be silence!" Alfred orders. "Aethelred?" She scoffs at the man.

"Yes, lord."

"It must be you. This is for Mercia to resolve, you must go to Beamfleot." Alfred demands calmly.

"Of course, lord."

"And a representative of Wessex, lord. As the burden of your daughter is to be shared between the two kingdoms." Odda stands a moment after and looks at Alfred.