xvii. broken bonds

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"However, there is a slight problem. Osferth is a virgin." Finan says as he and Osferth sit with some women. Althea sat next to her husband as their sons ram around the table, Sihtric kissed her forehead when she laid her head on his shoulder.

"No, it's not true." Osferth defends himself.

"It's true. It's true. It's true! You need to do it sometime." They all laugh at the table as Osferth frowns in embarrassment.

"Are you surprised to see me, Father?" Finan asked with a grin. She glanced up and smiled softly at Beocca, the man in question placed his palm on her head softly.

"Where is he?"

"He was last seen with a pagan witch at Coccham, and I don't mean the Abbess Hild. Do you have a message for him?" Finan said looking at him.

"He knows that his children are safe." Aethelwold listens in.

"He knows they were taken, he was not pleased." Finan corrected as Beocca sat down. Althea forgot how cruel her father was, he had sent for her children too but she didn't let it stay that way. The thought of all the blood and Skade almost made her nauseous, Sihtric stroked her hair lightly when he felt her tense up.

"Is he here? You know I will not summon the guards. Is he here?" Finan rubs his beard and hesitates for a moment.

"He is. Now you can tell me why Aethelwold is walking the streets of Winchester as a free man?"

"Because rightly it wrongly, he has been forgiven, as I believe Uhtred will be forgiven. Tell him to find me." Finan leans in slightly.

"Um, I think he may well be sitting at your table, Father." Beocca stands and leaves.

"A problem we can help resolve here?" Finan calls out as he and the men gather behind Aethelwold. A whore had informed Finan of the gathering, Hvitserk hugged his mother close as his little brother stayed with Uncle Osferth.

"It is a minor disagreement, that is all, involving a minor Ealdorman." Pyrlig says.

"Sigebriht, send for Steapa and the king's guard. Tell him we have all but captured Uhtred Ragnarsson." Aethelwold says smugly.

"You believe Uhtred is inside my house?" Beocca asked with an amused look.

"I do."

"You are ever the fool." Beocca stated.

"Beocca."

"Stay inside, my dear." Beocca spoke as Thyra walked to him.

"Beocca, I have been listening. If these men wish to look inside our home, then we should allow it. We have nothing to hide, nothing at all. Please, come inside, Aethelwold." Thyra said as she motioned for them to go inside, they kicked open the door dramatically.