Chapter 3

"These are gifts which are sent from now on from the Duke of Valentine family for the Miss."

Eleanor looked at the endless stream of gifts with fed-up eyes. What the hell is all of this about?

[I apologize for such a sudden visit. I'll properly compensate you for today's disrespect later.]

Out of a sudden, the words of the Duke flashed through her mind. If it was compensation for an unannounced visit, this was far beyond the scope of 'appropriateness'. If his intention was to convince her, then that's even more inappropriate...

However, honestly, it was very effective. Since, for a moment, she thought that it would be okay to suffer a few more months.

Eleanor opened the gift boxes one by one with a puzzled look on her face.

"Oh my gosh. I've never seen such a large and delicate pearl, Miss!"

"And this dress as well. It's from Roden Boutique, which is hard for anyone to buy even if you make a reservation 6 months in advance!"

The maids who were arranging the gifts that came in exclaimed in admiration. They were the highest quality products that couldn't be obtained even if everyone tried to pay for it.

"But can I really accept this? I did nothing, though?"

"Ah, the Duke will never receive it back. It's his message that if you don't like it, he will leave the disposition entirely to you."

Albert intervened quickly and answered firmly. He added another package of presents.

"Then, this flower and cookie box came from the Marquis Blake family."

Eleanor suddenly took the bouquet and the cookie box. They were considerably heavier than they looked.

'What the hell are these men doing from the morning?'

Eleanor, who muttered to herself, unfolded a small note from her bouquet.

[To Ellen.

Well noted. It's a pity, but because that's what you want, there's nothing I can do.

We can see each other soon as the Imperial Ball is held next week. Let's see each other then.

Oh, I thought of you after I passed by the present, so I bought it. I hope you like it.

With friendship and love,

Adrian Blake]

Eleanor who had finished reading the letter sighed in relief. Adrian accepted her rejection without saying a word.

It was a fortunate thing. If Adrian had asked her a few more times, she would have had no choice but to lose as the weak-to-him-only Eleanor.

"A ball... Turns out, the boring social season has returned."

There were a lot of things that she received as gifts from the Duke, so there seemed to be nothing to prepare. And about the escort, as always, Dwight will do it.

"To think I'm going to a ball while holding my brother's hand when I'm 24 years old."

No, am I that unattractive?

Eleanor, who grew sullen, stood in front of the mirror and scrutinized herself.

With slightly curly golden hair, pale white skin, and bright green eyes even in the dark. She had a pretty face, even if she wasn't a thrifty beauty.

"Come to think of it, until now, neither Adrian nor I have ever had that common single lover... Even if he's my friend, do we need to be alike like this?"