Chapter 9

It was a hot spring day, just like summer. Kaidel stood upright, suppressing the boredom that creeped up on him like a haze.

"Kaidel, I don't know how to convey my consolation."

"My father must have considered it an honor to contribute to the victory of the Empire and closed his eyes. Since Your Imperial Majesty has personally cared for me like this, I can only appreciate it."

"Yes. Don't pay attention to the loud talk of people you don't even know. You will be a better family head than your father. Please work hard and become the Crown Prince's reliable friend."

"Valentine will always be Your Imperial Majesty's faithful sword and the Empire's shield."

The predecessor, Duke Valentine, died in battle, and Kaidel suddenly succeeded to the duchy.

Kaidel, who participated in the victory banquet held at the Imperial Palace, left the venue immediately after having a brief private conversation with the Emperor. It was because the eyes on him and the whispers everywhere got on his nerves.

"Excuse me, if you don't mind, would you mind helping me to the break room? After drinking, I feel a little dizzy."

"I will call a servant."

"Oh, my. You know that's not what I meant..."

Most of all, the biggest problem was the young ladies who secretly, and sometimes blatantly, reached out to seduce him.

'As long as it's my seat, I can't go back early. It's so frustrating, I'm going crazy.'

Entering a corner alley where there was no one around, Kaidel undid the cravat and obsessively undid a couple of buttons. Only then did he feel a little bit relieved.

"Ah, my feet and ankles are killing me. They won't be able to see it because of the skirt anyway, so do I really need to wear shoes?"

It was then. A young lady, whose hem of the skirt pulled up so wildly that her ankles could be seen, was striding towards him.

'Although I came out quietly, did you follow me? Looking at her skirt rolled up to the top, she looks like an unusual woman...'

Kaidel quickly buttoned up and pulled down his hat.

"What on earth is this kind of banquet that doesn't end. On a good day, it's best to order a freshly fried chicken delivery and open a can of beer..."

The woman quietly muttered about chicken or canned beer, something Kaidel couldn't understand.

'Is she crazy?'

The first evaluation of the woman was made within Kaidel. She passed in front of him, nervous as he was.

Yes, she passed by. Without even giving a single glance at Kaidel. It seemed that she wasn't even aware of his existence.

She's like a crazy person, but she's the kind of person who doesn't care about himㅡor at not yet.

Kaidel slightly corrected his assessment of her in his mind.

"There isn't a single bench in the garden of the Imperial Palace. It's not like they're short on budget. It's unnecessarily spacious and has no practicality."

Kaidel's eyebrows twitched. Now that he kept her in check, she doesn't hesitate to make dangerous remarks.

Kaidel dryly scanned the woman's profile. Her outward appearance was that of a noble lady with no problems. It was quite a pretty face even to him, who wasn't interested in women's appearance.