Chapter 6

Kaidel, who was staring at his younger brother, opened his mouth.

"After your ninth birthday, you're eligible to take the Academy Entrance Exam. You might know, but still."

Demian flinched at Kaidel's words.

"There are a lot of subjects that you need to prepare for, I will have someone to help you..."

A wrinkle crept between Kaidel's forehead, who was about to continue his speech. Demian kept his head down, looking down only at the hands on his lap.

"Demian, raise your head and look at me. Look into my eyes."

At Kaidel's hard voice, Demian's shoulders shrugged again. After a moment's hesitation, the large purple eyes slowly turned towards Kaidel.

"What matters the most is your decision. I'll just follow your choices. If you say you want to go to the Academy, I will do my best to have you apply there, but if you don't want to, I will accept that as well."

"..."

"Demian, please say something."

Kaidel ran his hands over his hair and said in a voice deeply soaked with his fatigue. He waited for a long time since then, yet there was no answer from Demian.

The Valentine brothers' conversations were always like this. Demian kept his mouth shut at some point and said nothing.

Kaidel tried his best to open his mouth, but the more he did, the more Demian locked himself in his room and isolated himself.

He considered seeking treatment no matter how the surrounding eyes viewed them, but he couldn't even try, as he was extremely refusing to see a doctor.

'What the hell was the problem?'

Every time Kaidel looked at Demian, he felt a sense of frustration as if a rock had been placed on his chest.

As soon as Demian was born, their mother died, they also lost their father to war, and Kaidel suddenly took over the parenting of his younger brother. That role was more difficult and demanding than any role he had played.

Kaidel, who looked into the eyes of Demian for a moment, who resembled his mother in his blurred memories, then spoke.

"I have a place to go with you tomorrow. There is someone I want you to meet."

"...!"

There was a little fear in Demian's eyes. Kaidel shook his head briefly and added.

"It's not a doctor, so there is nothing to be afraid of. She's the daughter of a count... Maybe she will help you make up your mind. We'll just meet, talk for a while, and then come back."

At that moment, Demian's face, who had grown tired of pale, slowly turned better.

"...I called you to say that. You may go back."

Demian, who looked at his eyes and bowed his head, immediately left the office. A dark shadow fell on Kaidel's face as he looked at the small figure that was moving away.

***

'It's finally today.'

The face of Eleanor, whose hair was tied, was quite determined. She repeatedly checked herself and the condition of the drawing room several times.

Not only Eleanor, but all the servants of the Count's house were on high alert. It made sense because the Crown Prince, the Prince, the siblings of the Duke of Valentine, Young Marquis Blake and his nephew, were all due to visit.