Gazing Through Pain

As the familiar dark hooded figure proceeded towards her, the bleak light subdued

As the familiar dark hooded figure proceeded towards her, the bleak light subdued. Eda panicked; if the light went off, the hooded figure would engulf her as he did before.

She was familiar with his presence.

He was the same man who laid his filthy hands on her.

She was struggling to escape the darkroom that echoed with the hooded man's ugly laughter and obnoxious stench. Her scuffles were of no avail. She was captivated in thick shackles curled around her body, not allowing her to move an inch of her limb.

Her only hope was that beam of light.

"Don't leave, please don't leave." She sobbed vehemently, pleading to almost no one but surprisingly the light did respond this time.

Amidst the appalling laughter of that man and his daunting demeanor, Eda could hear the symphony of ease - Her own name. It had never sounded sweeter before.

"Eda. Eda." She kept on hearing it from a distance. It felt as if the light was calling her out but despite attempts, she couldn't reach it. She continued to yelp, "don't go" while hearing her name echoing amidst the lingering fear of that man approaching her with a wicked grin.

"Eda. Eda. It's me, wake up Eda." She woke up with a jolt and whimpered in fear at the sight of the huge man in front of her eyes. She was not sure what was happening but she was shaking because of fear or maybe cold.

She looked at Serkan in disbelief figuring out to say something that would help his distressed face.

"It's OK." He told her soothingly, running a gentle hand on her head.

"He....he was coming." She stammered helplessly, telling him about her dream like a child as if the man was approaching her for real.

"It's fine, you're safe. No one's coming."

Eda hugged him again for the umpteenth time trying to erase the ominous souvenirs of that night. Serkan felt nothing helpless for not being able to help her out of this fear. Her shaking body sent shivers down his spine. If it was someone else he would've understood - but Eda? Eda wasn't the kind of woman to be traumatized to such an extent. All this time he had only seen her as this strong woman who was not bothered by anything. Yes, she has had her feeble moments but this was different. This was terrifying.