Chapter 1

Hi, everyone. This is one of my first stories I've written that isn't fanfiction based. I'm sorry for any grammatical errors, English isn't my first language. I really hope you enjoy this story. Thank you so much for reading.

Spencer

We were all just hanging around at the lake deep in the woods. I looked over to my group of friends. Lore was the only other girl in the group. I was the opposite of her, with her dark skin, beautiful curly hair and the darkest brown eyes I had ever seen. Next to her was Miles, her on-and-off again boyfriend, he had dark blue eyes and golden locks that reached his shoulders, and they were tossing grapes in each other's mouths as a contest. Doing laps in the lake was Idris, black buzzcut, hazel eyes and the second broadest male from our age. The broadest was sitting next to me. Axel. Axel was the next in line to become Alpha. The firstborn of the current Alpha. He had dark brown wavy hair, topaz blue eyes and he was the most handsome man I had ever seen. And he was my best friend. We were all best friends and besides Miles and Lore, we never had done anything to jeopardize our friendship. All because we knew we had a mate out there and didn't want to make it more complicated.

We all dated a bit with others, kissing and a bit of groping but nothing more. In our pack, it was frowned upon to have sex before you turned eighteen in case you would find your mate at your birthday celebration. There has always been teasing and flirting between me and the future Alpha, but we never acted on it. Now we were celebrating the end of our high school days, tomorrow the day of our summer began. And tomorrow was Axel's 18th birthday. He was the first of us to turn eighteen, the next one was Lore and her twin brother, who should be arriving soon. Idris and Miles's birthdays are in September and mine is on the night of Halloween. It's possible that he will find his Mate tomorrow and if that happens ---

I was pulled out of my thoughts when Axel tugged my hair. I tilted my head to look at him. He smiled softly; his blue eyes focused on me.

"Where did you drift off to?"

"Nowhere. Everywhere."

"I know the feeling." He said softly. We looked back at the lake where Idris was still doing laps. "Everything is going to change."

"You're turning 18 tomorrow, maybe you'll find your mate."

"Maybe." He twirled the pack ring on his finger.

"And soon you'll be the Alpha."

He snorted. "Seven years isn't soon, Spencer."

I chuckled. "Maybe not. But it's at least three years of school, then your dad guiding you into the role, it will be here sooner than you think."

"Do you think I will be a good Alpha?"

I shifted until I sat in front of him. I cupped his cheek and my heart pounded as he leaned into it. "You will be an amazing Alpha, Ax. You are kind and fair. You know your flaws and work on them. Our people love you already."

"Do you love me?" He asked and it looked like he was holding his breath as he waited for an answer.

"You were my first and best friend -" I took in a deep breath. "I have never loved anyone like I love you." I leaned in a kissed the corner of his mouth. My lips lingered as his hand gripped my waist. When I pulled back, he had his eyes closed. "Don't let power get to your head." I chuckled, defusing the tension between us.

His eyes opened slowly, shaking his head a little like he was clearing his head. A lazy smile stretched over his handsome face. "It will take everything in my power, but I'll try."