Chapter 4

Axel

I made a reservation weeks ago for a private booth and the nicest room they had. We had the whole place to ourselves, the waiters only came when I pressed the call button on the tablet, leaving us alone until we called them. We just started on our main course, sitting side by side instead of across each other.

"How is school?"

"Boring," I said. I was taking economics and business as required for a future Alpha. "I grew up with all of that, so it's just repeat after repeat."

"Maybe you should take another subject, something you want to do."

I put my hand on her thigh. "I want to do you."

She snorted before laughing loudly, gods how I had missed her laugh. I just watched as she laughed, a smile tugging at my own lips. "And I'm the one with a dirty mind."

"Great minds think alike." I winked, and she laughed again. "How are your classes going?"

Her eyes brightened and she started talking about how her computing classes were going. How she loved all the new techniques she was learning. She was always a natural at computing and hacking and knew from a young age she wanted to get her degree in that. It was a career path we could use in the pack, so there were obviously no objections to her choice. Her choice of college was another story. It took a lot of convincing to let her go out of the country, but she did it. Of course, she did. When Spencer puts her mind to something, she gets it. She talked about the new people she had met, showing me pictures of English men and women. I tried to reel in the jealousy but that was nearly impossible. I was even jealous when Idris wrapped an arm around her, this was worse. A growl escaped my throat when I saw a picture of her and a guy who had wrapped an arm around her.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when she straddled my lap. I blinked up at her, she smiled softly. "There is nothing to be jealous of. They all know my heart belongs to another."

I leaned my head against her chest, nothing sexual about it. I sighed. "I just hate that you are so far away. I don't know how to handle three years of this."

She rested her cheek against my head. "I'm sorry."

"No." I pulled back and cupped her cheek. "Don't ever be sorry for chasing your dream. It will get better." I kissed her. "Once the bond is in place everyone will know we belong together."

"Thirty-three days." She whispered.

"Thirty-three days." I repeated before I captured her lips again.

For the past month, I've been feeling nauseous. I've been to the healer, but they couldn't find anything. Thought it was just stress, so maybe it was. The stress of school, of being without Spencer, of my future as Alpha. I didn't say anything to Spencer, I didn't want her to worry. We were back at my house, and it was almost time for Idris's celebration to start. Every eighteenth birthday will be celebrated at our house, in our garden. But the birthday boy or girl could help organize it. Idris, to no one's surprise, chose the theme of rock 'n roll. I glanced to the side, Spencer was peacefully asleep next to me. Her hair obscured her beautiful face.

"Hey, sleepyhead." I pushed her hair aside and nudged my nose against hers. "Time to wake up."

She clutched my shirt and snuggled closer. "Five more minutes."

"I wish we could." I traced a finger over her side, she squirmed away.

"Stupid Alpha." She muttered in my chest. I laughed and her head bounced on my chest.