Chapter Five: The Star Spangled Man

(DARK ROOM, CARRIER)

Fury is talking with the Council, four shadowy figures on screens.

COUNCILMAN: This is out of line, Director. You're dealing with forces you can't control.

FURY: You ever been in a war, councilman? In a fire fight? Did you feel an over abundance of control?

COUNCILMAN: You're saying that this Asgard is declaring war on our planet?

FURY: Not Asgard, Loki.

COUNCILWOMAN: He can't be working alone. What about the other one, his brother?

FURY: Our intelligence says Thor is not a hostile. But he's worlds away and we can't depend on him to help either. It's up to us.

COUNCILMAN: Which is why you should be focusing on Phase Two, it was designed for exactly this purpose.

FURY: Phase Two isn't ready; our enemy is. We need a response team.

"What's Phase Two?" a first year Hufflepuff asked. Steve smiled at the kid and told her just to keep on watching.

COUNCILMAN: The Avengers Initiative was shutdown.

FURY: This isn't about the Avengers.

COUNCILMAN: We're running the world's greatest covert security network and you're gonna leave the fate of the human race to a handful of freaks.

FURY: I'm not leaving anything to anyone. We need a response team. These people may be isolated, unbalanced even, but I believe, with the right push, they can be exactly what we need.

COUNCILWOMAN: You believe!

COUNCILMAN: War isn't won by sentiment, Director.

FURY: No, It's won by soldiers.

"I am not a soldier" Raisa said defiantly with a scowl on her face. "You go that right kid" Stark responded in the same tone with the same scowl on his face. Nat saw the similarities between the two and snickered and nudged Clint in the side and pointed in the direction of the two. Although not biologically related the two of them had a lot of the same mannerisms and characteristics that make them very similar, much like father and daughter. James saw the interaction between them, he was jealous. He wanted that with his daughter. However, he knew he lost that chance when she was taken. But the jealousy faded, he was happy that his daughter had a father in her life whether it was him or not.

(GYM - NIGHT)

STEVE ROGERS, alter ego of Captain America, is hitting a punching bag in a gym. He has several flashbacks of World War Two. During his flashbacks...

CAPTAIN AMERICA: (V.O)There's not enough time. I gotta put her in the water....he hits the bag harder, faster...

PEGGY CARTER: (V.O)You won't be alone....he hits the bag even faster.

SCIENTIST: (V.O)Oh my God. This guy's still alive.

Steve throws the hardest punch he has left and it knocks the bag across the room. Breathing hard, Steve picks up another bag from a line on the floor and hangs it up. He begins to hit it. And

FURY: (across the room) Trouble sleeping?

STEVE: (hitting the bag) Slept for seventy years, Sir. I think I've had my fill. Fury slowly approaches Steve.

FURY: Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world.

STEVE: When I went under, the world was at war. I wake up- they say we won. They didn't say what we lost.

FURY: We've made some mistakes along the way, some very recently.

STEVE: (removing hand wrap) You here with a mission, Sir?

FURY :I am.

STEVE: (removing other hand wrap) Trying to get me back in the world?

FURY: Trying to save it.

Fury hands Steve a folder with information on the Tesseract in it.

STEVE: HYDRA's secret weapon.

FURY: Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you. He thought what we think. The Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs.

STEVE: Who took it from you?

FURY: He's called Loki. He's- not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know.

STEVE: At this point I doubt anything would surprise me.

Steve gets up, grabs his duffel bag, and another punching bag while Fury is talking.

FURY :Ten bucks says you're wrong. There's a debriefing packet waiting for you back at your apartment. Is there anything you can tell us about the Tesseract that we ought to know now?

STEVE: You should have left it in the ocean.

"I still stand by that"

"But Steve if it hadn't then, yes New York wouldn't have happened, an enemy may have taken it. At least in the hands of SHIELD, it could be monitored even if there were double agents inside the agency. It was in safe hands. Hydra may have found it before SHIELD, think about all the damage they could have done with that." Raisa explained to Steve. He did see the positives in SHIELD finding it before others but it was dangerous and nobody should have had access to it.

Steve exits.