Chapter 25 - They Are The Hunters We Are The Foxes

Though finding the Chrysalis had been a success, the onslaught of winter chills and snow had thrown a wrench into the girls Animagus plans. Clear skies at night were far and few between and there hadn't been one on the full moon in November.

The girls had decided not to be disheartened and instead turned their interest to dueling club.

Rita ran down the hallway trying to get to dueling club, well not on time, but maybe not insanely late.

She ran in to see all the students practicing wand movements already and winced.

"Ms. Skeeter." She heard the deep voice of the headmaster and turned around trying to rearrange her facial features into something more pleasant.

"Yes sir?"

Dumbledore eyed her in a way that made her feel like he was staring into her mind and reading everything she had ever thought. She repressed a shiver.

"Do you make a habit of being late when professor McGonagall is leading this club."

Rita shook her head fervently. "No Professor. It was a onetime mistake."

Dumbledore nodded though he continued to stare at her thoughtfully. "I see."

"Ms. Black." He called out to where Bellatrix was standing partnerless against the wall. "Now that Ms. Skeeter is here will you join us in our exercises?"

Bellatrix pushed herself off of the wall and walked over to Rita.

Rita raised an eyebrow at her. "Causing trouble till I got here?"

Bellatrix shrugged, glaring at her. "Just didn't want to partner up with anyone else."

Rita grinned at her "Love ya too Trix."

Pulling her wand out of her robe pocket, Bellatrix snapped "Don't call me that."

Rita rolled her eyes and pulled her own wand out. "Show me the wand movement?"

Bellatrix moved her wand first swirling it and then flicking it away.

Rita mimicked her motions. "Like that?"

Bellatrix nodded. "Dumbledore says we have to practice the movement at least ten times before we actually start using it."

Rita nodded and both girls silently did their ten repetitions. When they were done Bellatrix explained the pronunciation to Rita.

"ExPELLiarmus."

"Expelliarmus."

"No listen. ExPELLiarmus."

It took Rita a couple of tries to get it and once she did, she waved at Dumbledore.

"Sir, we've practiced the movement and pronunciation. Can we put it to use now?"

His eyes twinkled in a way that made Rita distinctly uncomfortable.

"Quick test for house points first ladies." He said staring at Bellatrix more than Rita.

"If say a student was coming back from class and had the horn tongue hex cast on him, what spell should he use to protect himself from violent students."

Rita's eyes widened as she glanced over at Bellatrix who gave her a small shake of her head. Bellatrix held her chin up and stared Dumbledore down almost defiantly enough to get in trouble.

"If the student was clever enough to think of a disarming spell such as expelliarmus I would recommend it." Her silver eyes flashed in the low light of the classroom. "However, seeing as the student is in a situation where someone feels the need to hex him, perhaps he is not intelligent enough to execute it."

Lestrange, who had been struggling with the wand movement in the corner of the classroom, dropped his wand and glared at Bellatrix.

"Is there any reason for the specific nature of the question Professor?" she asked, chin tilted, and eyebrows raised.

"No, no reason Miss. Black. Though perhaps I am cautious because so many students have recently been encouraged to cause harm to other students."

Bellatrix gave the headmaster a slow and small smile. "I wouldn't know anything about that professor."

His eyes twinkled, as if he had caught her. "I didn't say you did Miss. Black."

At this point the whole club was watching the charged exchange. A small girl with curly hair bigger than her face staring up at one of the most formidable wizards in the world. Surprise showed on everyone's faces when Dumbledore walked away. The small girl had won.

Bellatrix walked over to Rita, looking quite pleased with herself.

"I definitely though you were getting a detention for that." Rita laughed.

Bellatrix gave her a pointed look. "The point of that little altercation wasn't to get me in trouble. It was to let me know he's keeping an eye on me." She gave Rita a rare grin. "I take that as a challenge."

Rita smiled as they began to practice the disarming spell.

Half an hour later the girls left the dusty classroom, heading to the great hall for supper.

To their surprise, Dumbledore began to walk alongside them. It was quite a comical picture really, two twelve-year-old girls, walking through the large halls of the castle arm in arm, and an old wizened professor walking alongside them looking as merry as the girls did uncomfortable.

Rita was just about to open her mouth to speak when Dumbledore said. "I believe Christmas is coming up."

Bellatrix nodded. "Yes, I believe so sir."

Dumbledore stared at Bellatrix as he continued. "Staying here this holiday?"

Shaking her head and giving the headmaster a small smile she responded, "I'm afraid not, too many family gatherings to attend."

Dumbledore nodded. "I see. And yourself Miss Skeeter?"

Rita awkwardly muttered "No I'm going to go home. My mum misses me."

Dumbledore smiled brightly at that. "Well, I hear mothers tend to do that. You know I do find it interesting girls that last year we had quite a stir before the Christmas holidays."

Bellatrix glared at Rita who was turning red with nervousness. "I wasn't sure if it was a stir sir. You see, it being our first year, we weren't really sure if it was normal or not. And nobody would tell us because well, we weren't allowed to talk about it."

As they walked into the great hall Dumbledore's eyes narrowed and he tapped his nose while saying "A good point Miss. Black. Though I am telling you now, it is not normal and if such disturbances continue, the headmaster may have to step in and investigate."

Bellatrix smiled widely back as she responded. "The principal may want to start his examination in the Black wing of the library. Over twenty five percent of Hogwarts's catalog I hear."

Dumbledore gave Bellatrix a small smile as he walked towards the teachers table.

Rita stared at Bellatrix, slack jawed.

"How do you do that?" she asked in amazement.

Bellatrix shrugged. "When in doubt just remind them how rich you are."