Chapter Forty Two

Emma finally knew what the term 'living in a fishbowl' meant. Everywhere she went crew members stared at her or started whispering or treated her strangely. She knew why of course, and she knew she would do the same if the situation were reversed. It still wasn't easy. She thought once the secret was out about her marriage to Chris everything would be less complicated. That did not happen. She actually found it easier when no one knew.

She just didn't understand. She was still the same old Emma. She was just married to the Captain of the Enterprise. It wasn't like she was going to tell Chris everything she heard. She tried to ignore it the best she could and focus on her new marriage and getting better. The whole pollen ordeal had taken more out of her than she anticipated. Not just physically, but mentally. She had watched someone die, again and she almost died as well.

"Emma?" Chris asked for the third time.

His wife shook her head and finally acknowledged him. "I'm sorry. What did you ask?"

"I asked if you wanted some eggs with your toast?" He asked.

"Oh, yeah. Sure." She told him. She lifted her plate up for him to put the eggs on them next to her uneaten toast.

Chris leaned against the counter. "Want to talk about it?"

"About what?"

"What's got you distracted." He said. "Is it because it's your first day back to work?"

"That...is part of it." She admitted. There was a multitude of things that were in her mind; recovering, getting married, moving into Chris' quarters officially. The list went on and on. "I'm okay. I promise. There's just a lot of change happening."

"I know. I'm sorry it hasn't been as easy as we were hoping, but," Chris said.

"But?"

He pulled his apron off and walked around the counter. He took Emma's hand in his and helped her stand up. He wrapped his arms around her waist. "In a month, we'll get a long leave. A break. Just the two of us at my house. Well, I guess it's our house now."

Emma crinkled her nose as she tried to resist smiling. "Our house. I've never owned a house before. We may have to make a few pit stops."

"A few?" Chris sounded slightly disappointed.

"My parents want to see me. I also got a response back from biological father."

"Oh." Chris said surprised and Emma typed on her PADD before sliding it to him.

To Emma Coleman,
To say that your letter is a surprise to me is an understatement. I'm not sure whether to be happy or confused or angry, not at you, of course. I do remember your biological mother. She came from a darker time in my life. A time that I am not proud of. She was right about me not wanting children. I didn't want that 25 years ago. I was so focused on my work. Now that I'm older, things have changed. It is my number one regret. I am glad that you reached out to me. I am glad that you seemed to have had a good life I am glad that you've accomplished many things at such a young age. I would love the opportunity to meet you whenever you're available. I'll let you my personal number and you can contact me when you're on leave.

Stay Safe,
Thomas

"Wow." Chris said after he finished reading.

"I know." Emma agreed.

"How does that make you feel?" He asked.

Emma shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. I think I'm scared that I'll be disappointed or that I'll disappoint him. I mean, he's one of the best scientist in the Federation."