Chapter 10 - I don't need your love, but I just need you now

And all of the nights and all of the days
Yeah, we're watching them fading away
And oh, what a life when you're rolling the dice
When I'm gambling all of the time

But I don't need your love
I just need you now

"And then you kissed?"

"No! What do you think this is, a Hollywood movie?"

"It wouldn't be too far of a stretch."

"With Chishiya?"

"Fair enough."

You were telling Kuina all about last night. Well, not absolutely everything, you wanted to keep few details for yourself, hidden away like a treasure. 

To be honest, the young woman had realized immediately that something was up with you. Her first guess had been that you were high. 

"High on love, baby." was your answer. You both cringed from it, agreed to never talk about it again and decided to go to the pool together to survey The Beach's newcomers, two people, a young, gangly, dark-haired man and a beautiful, clearly athletic girl with short hair. Both of them looked like fishes out of the water, and you kind of felt sorry for them. Chishiya had apparently played a game with them both long ago, and thought they would be useful for his plan of stealing the cards.

Because he was not going to actively involve you anymore (you were now more of a passive observant), or put you in any danger, or ask you to do anything you didn't want to do.

"After..." 

"After the first thing I told you today, which we will never mention, ever again."

"Yes. After that, you told me you were back together. You can't blame me for guessing it involves..." She pouted her lips, pretending to kiss someone for a long time, even adding a little bit of tongue to it, which made you laugh out loud.

"Are you two gossiping about me?"

Uh oh. You had been caught. You feigned innocence turning to face Chishiya, fluttering your eyelashes with the sweetest look you could achieve in your face. "No." Kuina was trying to hide her laughter behind her hand, and failing miserably at it.

"Sure."

He sat next to you, smirking. He placed his hand on your knee. You met Kuina's eyes, making a face that you hoped meant "You see? We are together!". She kept laughing, her eyes tearing up.

"So what do you think?"

"She seems capable. I don't know about him."

"They want to make him an Executive."

Both Kuina and you looked at him, visibly confused.

"They are going to have Ann join him in a game to test him tonight. I was thinking maybe you two could join as well, if you want? I can arrange it."

When you heard "if you want" you smiled, delighted. If you were a cartoon character, your eyes would have turned into hearts in an instant. You nodded, affirmatively. You were thinking of playing tomorrow either way, you might as well do it today. You felt his fingers caress your knee, briefly. He knew you hated the games. 

"I can't believe I finally get to be in a game with you!" Kuina's happiness about it was contagious, and between Chishiya's silent support, and knowing she would be at your side, you felt brave and ready to face whatever came in your way. Just, please, not another game of diamonds.

 Just, please, not another game of diamonds