Chapter 21 - This world is only going to break your heart

What a wicked game you play, to make me feel this way
What a wicked thing to do, to let me dream of you
What a wicked thing to say, you never felt this way

You were staring at Chishiya from across the room.

He had said, very naturally, helping you close a collar that could blow your head off at any moment around your neck, that during this game you should pretend not to know each other.

"Excuse me?" You were still fuming because of that almost-kiss that had left you standing there, opening and closing your mouth like a goldfish, with your eyes shut.

"It's a hearts game." He stated.

"You told me..."

"I am not using you, but they will. You are not a liability, but us caring for each other is."

You had accepted after a while, because it did make sense. You just didn't like that it had to be like that.

So there you were, in the central guardroom of a prison (apparently penitentiary center was just a fancy name for jail), surrounded by two types of people: one, those who looked scared and were trying to make themselves seem smaller so that nobody would focus on them... And two, those who looked just plain bored and uninterested.

There was actually a third type: Chishiya. Observing everything and everyone, having placed himself in a position where he was able to watch any player that would come in, arms crossed, wearing the hood of his white jacket and hiding his face in the shadows.

You guessed you didn't fit into any of those categories either, because you were nervously fidgeting, shifting your weight from one leg to the other, drumming your fingers against the wall.

"Difficulty, Jack of Hearts." You looked around you. The palms of your hands started to sweat.

"He is not going to let you die." You whispered softly, so that nobody else could hear you. Even if they would, they wouldn't have understood, since you had used your native language.

But you had doubts, of course you did. Because knowing Chishiya as well as you did (would you say you knew him well? Or just more than others?), you knew he was ruthless, selfish and stone-hearted. He wasn't like that with you, though. Or was it all just a role he was playing?

He had betrayed Arisu and Usagi, after all.

You shook your head to get rid of those thoughts. They were not true. It was just the anxiety of having to play this foolish game.

The voice continued, and the only screen present in the room lit up. "Game: Prison Cell. Rules: guess the suit that appears on the back of your collar. However, you cannot see your own suit." You lifted your hand towards your own collar, and tried to move it. No, it wouldn't shift. "The time per limit round is one hour. Five minutes before the time is up, enter one of the prison cells and guess what your own suit is." A corridor illuminated. It was, just as the woman's robotic voice had said, full of holding cells.

"If you do not guess your suit correctly, the game is over for you. When time runs out, your collar will explode, and you will die. In addition, your suit will change at every round."

"But we just need to have someone tell us what it is, right? That'll be easy!" Exclaimed a guy wearing a striped t-shirt and overalls, standing next to Chishiya. He seemed too nice to be here. And to have survived this long.

"Prison Cell is a test of how much can you trust others." The voice kept going. "In addition, the Jack of Hearts has secretly joined the game as one of the participants." Of course they had.