12.

NICOLE

"Nicole, is that you?"

I look at the man calling my name trying to figure out how I know him.

He looks at me with wide eyes as if he saw a ghost.

"Niky..." Only one person called me that, only one...

A wide smile spread across his face.

Oh my God... Of course!

"William!" I finally understand, looking at him fascinated like a teenage girl.

He walked around the car, opened my door and held out his hand. I accept it without thinking. I get out of the car and we stare at each other still holding hands.

Thick brown naughty hair, warm brown eyes and the sweetest smile. How is it possible that I didn’t recognize him, I don’t believe it? That is William, my best friend, my first love, my childhood friend.

Looking him in the eye makes me feel like a fifteen-year-old girl again. All the mischief we did together, all the time we spent together, goes through my head. We have been inseparable for years. How is it possible that that smile stayed the same and that warm look that warmed my body.

We stood like two fools, in the cold in front of the main entrance of the hospital, holding hands and looking at each other in wonder. Observing, absorbing all the changes that life has brought us. Once best friends are now strangers who barely recognize each other. It should be so, but it is not.

He’s still the Willie I knew. He’s still my friend, even though we haven’t seen each other in years and I have no idea what’s going on in his life. Nor does he know anything about me.

We missed a lot, but the feeling is the same.

It is as if we are reading each other's thoughts at the same time, letting go of our hands and embracing. I put my arms over his neck and he crossed mine over my back and we pulled each other into a tight hug.

It’s so warm, so familiar, so soothing.

"I don't believe it, I thought I'd never see you again."

"So am I. So much time has passed."

"It looks so small to me now."

"The feeling is the same." I say and step away from him, looking him in the face. I want to see his expression.

“The feeling is still the same.” He repeated, looking me in the eye. God, those brown eyes, those fine long eyelashes.

I laugh, and he frowns slightly as if he knows why I'm laughing.

"You haven't changed a bit. Is that possible?"

"You did, I barely recognized you."

"Life."

"Life, yes." He answered a little sadly, still not letting me out of his arms.

I watch him and my heart is full.

"I'm so glad to see you." I say quietly.

At that moment, a nurse in a blue suit appears

"Doctor we need you, your shift is starting in five minutes."

"I'm coming," he says, still keeping his eyes on me.

"Go to work, you're late..."

"I know."

"Are you cold?" He says and only then I realize that I got out of the car without a coat.

I shake my head and we continue to look at each other both smiling and happy.