3.

STEPHANIE

I am so nervous that I can't even describe it. The world seems to have turned against me tonight. Lacey was called on duty, so I was left without a friend to go out with. In the last minute of my shift, a man who needed CPR arrived at the ward, which means that I am not going anywhere until one of the specialists arrives. On top of all this, Nicole kept calling me and the phone kept vibrating in my pocket.

"What's with those surgeons?!" I could barely refrain from swearing.

"They don't have available ORs, as soon as someone is free, they will come down." The nurse shrugged disinterestedly.

They haven't had anyone free for half an hour, and the man has already received four doses of adrenaline. I am afraid that I will not be able to do this for a long time because this man's life depends on the surgery, and the speed it will be provided to him.

"Dr Bennett, you're free," my mentor ran into the office. "I'll take over from here, great job."

"Are you sure?" I asked him.

"Completely, go," he smiled slightly at me and began giving instructions to the nurses.

I respected this man for his knowledge, and the dedication he had for each patient. He only recently completed his residency, but he was full of knowledge. He had no favourite residents and was not one of the corrupt doctors. First of all, he is a good man, and only then an extraordinary doctor.

"Dr Bennett, you're still here," he looked at me out of the corner of his eye.

"Can you let me know how the surgery went?" I asked him before I left.

"Expect my message," he smiled slightly at me.

I was wondering if I should go out at all because it will be ten o'clock soon, and I don't have any company with that, but I realized that there was little chance that I would be free for the whole weekend anytime soon. I took the phone out of my pocket and turned it off. Tonight, I want to be completely free without my sister nagging me. Tomorrow she can give me as many lectures as she wants, but tonight I will relax and enjoy my youth.

I went to the locker room to take a shower, and then pulled on a silver dress with an open back and lifted my hair into a high ponytail because I knew how impractical it was to dance with long hair falling freely. Concerning the makeup, I applied a thin coat of concealer to cover my more than conspicuous under-eye circles, a fiery red lipstick and a bit of mascara, because it would take me more than an hour for all the heavy makeup. I smiled at my reflection in the mirror and pulled a black leather jacket out of my closet and a silver purse. I packed the uniform and then put on my favourite heels. If Nicole saw me like this, I wouldn't have a good time...

I called a cab and got out of the hospital using the back exit. I was lucky, because I waited for it for less than five minutes. I gave the address to the driver with a smile, and I was happily looking forward to coming to that famous new club.

When I would go out I would not use my car because I never sat behind the wheel under the influence of alcohol. This was another lesson I learned from Nicole.

For many years, she had a fear of driving due to an accident in which we lost our parents, but at my urging and a job that required her to own a car, and had to take the driving exam. Although the ride with her was more than slow, at certain moments I would think even people who were walking nearby were faster than her driving.

"Miss, we arrived." The taxi driver's voice returned me from my thoughts.

I thanked him and paid for the drive, and then I entered a club about which I heard only words of praise. The music was loud, and I could smell the familiar smell of alcohol in the air.