15.

NICOLE

I sit in Maximilian’s black jeep watching Leo open the door from his matte black Audi R8 for my younger sister.

She is happy, that is the only reason why I allow all of this. I want to always see her this happy.

Stephanie was a magnet for jerks, that girl always fell for scum of guys. Sometimes I wondered where she managed to find them all, but somehow she managed to do it.

Unlike all of them Leo was a successful young guy, a businessman, serious enough, nice, kind, cultured and most importantly he loves her. Love could be seen on their faces when they were together, and even I could not remain indifferent to it.

I gave Leo support because I believed in that guy. I believe they can build a beautiful relationship and manage to keep that smile on the lips they currently have. But if that blonde harms my sister in any way or hurts her in any way... It will be the last thing he did in his life and I made that clear to him.

One mistake and he will regret it!

Stephanie was my only relative and my world. I have endured everything in my life and I have gone through everything, but even in the worst possible moments of my life. I tried for her not to miss anything, and it will be like that as long as I breathe. For one of her tears, I would destroy the city if needed and not some businessman there. It was better for Leo to watch what and how he did with my sister.

Also, her happiness was mine too, so that wide smile on her face warmed my heart and my soul. I never showed it to her but she would smile to herself every time I saw her so happy and prayed to God to always be like that.

I saw Max say something to Leo as he pretended to have no idea what Max was talking about. Although I couldn't hear the conversation, I knew what it was all about.

Max and I alone in the car, on the way to the cottage. Coincidence!? I would not say so!!

Max took off his coat, put it in the back seat, and got into the car.

He was wearing a thin black V-neck sweater and this was the first time I had seen him without fancy shirts and suits. His muscles came to the fore even more in that sweater, and the black color further expressed his thick black hair and beard on that perfectly white face.

I scanned his gaze as he adjusted behind the wheel, fastening his seat belt. I absorbed every detail so as not to forget that scene, it is beautiful.

When he settled in, he turned the key and started the engine, then looked at me with a wide smile on his face.

My heart stopped.

"Ready?"

I just nodded and looked the other way.

I watched the road, trying to look at him as little as possible, while some romantic music was playing on the radio.

I kept my focus on Leo’s luxury car that didn’t fit in with the dense New York traffic at all.

"Are you cold? Should I turn up the heat?" Max asked me.

I started to show with my hand that it was fine, while he was already starting to increase the heating. Our hands touched, and my eyes looked into his.

So much effort not to look at him in a second fell into the water. One eye contact and I no longer knew how to stop looking at him.

"You have very gentle hands, but they are cold."

He grabbed my hand in his and I swear I thought my heart would stop forever.

I did not withdraw my hand or look away. In that split second, nothing else existed except his touch and that gentle look. I always felt so weird around Maximillian, I couldn’t describe that feeling. What's going on with me?