20.

NICOLE

I run through the busy streets of Manhattan with headphones in my ears as I listen to some mix of electronic music that Stephanie recorded for my workouts.

When I didn’t have time to train, like in the case today, then I would extend my standard way home a bit and use it for running. In my office, I always kept a backpack with spare sports equipment, which proved to be a very useful and smart idea in these situations.

I run avoiding people who go to meet me and try to keep my brain clear, but that’s very hard for me considering I was dealing with a perfect gentleman today.

Today, Maximilian came to my dental office, as if there was no other dental office where a millionaire like him could go.

From the night I first saw him in my polyclinic, his eyes gave me no peace, haunting me both in waking up and in my sleep. As soon as I close my eyes I see them, two big brown eyes and those irresistibly long lashes. My diaphragm fails at the very thought of it, and my lungs become incapable of performing their basic physiological function, breathing.

I couldn’t describe how that man affected me and why I felt so close to him. I knew I needed to stay away from people like that and that love wasn’t for me, but I just couldn’t.

For years, I skillfully and without any problems avoided the men who wrapped themselves around my legs, and there were quite a number of them. No such man has ever left an impression on me, and I looked at them all superficially and completely uninterested, but Max...

Maximilian is different, everything about him intrigues me and draws me to him. The way he walks, the way he holds his shoulders, the look, the face, the attitude and that intoxicating smell. Everything on it acted like a magnet on me, a magnet I resisted very hard.

I walked three laps around the neighborhood and finally ran into the ravine and caught an empty elevator. The elevator in our building on all four sides was lined with mirrors and various gold ornaments, which gave it a falsely luxurious look.

I didn't sleep well last night and that fatigue was on my face. As I watched my reflection in the mirror my gaze fell on my lips. I remembered Max's touch on them and my fatigue was gone and my heart rate tripled in response to the adrenaline that was just intensifying in my body.

Come on, Nicole, you're acting like a kid. That woman doesn't look like you! Pull yourself together!!

I pulled the key out of my bag and entered the apartment where I was greeted by Astra at the entrance. The Astra is my sister's little Labrador that looks more like a small shaggy ball than a dog. She is just another attempt by my sister and her dear boyfriend to drive me crazy.

She was with us for almost a week and I already somehow fell in love with this shaggy creature, a source of microorganisms in my new and sterile apartment. At least that was until she moved in with us.

"Hey, Astra." I bent down to caress her behind the ears, which made her very happy, and she waved her little tail happily.

The sound of dishes came from the kitchen, which was very strange to me because Stephanie said she was going out with Leo, and Magda had a day off.

"Stephanie, I'm here." I called her after I put the keys on the locker next to the door and headed for the kitchen.

"You're finally here. I was waiting for you." I found a smiling Will in the kitchen.

"Will, what are you doing here?

"I see you're not glad to see me."

"Of course I'm glad, you just surprised me."