Prologue

Nicole

Morning cup of coffee with the view on busy Manhattan streets and sun rising above the city which never sleeps is my favourite morning routine. While I continue to drink my coffee, I am going through my list about everything I have to do today whilst thinking about my work. Yes, you read it right, I am obsessed with my work because my social life is nonexistent.

'Good morning, Miss.' My handmaid comes into my room and greets me with her smile.

'Good morning Magda, how are you today?'

'Fine, the day is beautiful.'

'Yes, I agree with that, in fact, the most beautiful seasons in New York are autumn and winter.'

'That's right, they are truly stunning.'

'That's why I love this city so much.'

'I can see that as I observe you every morning while you're looking through the window and enjoying your coffee. You're doing that every single day, without exception, you're waking up before the alarm and enjoying your routine.'

'It became my habit, I almost don't even need the clock anymore.'

'I admire you. I will continue with my work now, do you need anything?'

'Actually I do, may I ask you to go shopping instead of me this time? I really have a lot of work to do today and I am not sure if I would make it. I know it's not your work, but it would mean a lot to me.'

'Of course I will go, Miss, it's not a problem for me.'

'Thank you, Magda, you saved me.'

'You're very welcome, I know how much both you and Stefani are committed to your work. Plus, I certainly don't have many obligations today. And I wanted to let you know that the room you asked me to clean up is ready for use.'

'Did you? Thank you for that. The money and shopping list are on the table. I really hope I didn't forget something.'

'I am going to leave now. I will be back soon.'

'You don't have to be in a rush, enjoy such a beautiful day.'

'I will see you later, Miss.'

Magda is a middle-aged woman in her late forties who helps me to maintain my apartment. She is a very pleasant and hardworking woman. I hired her three years ago because she needed a job to feed her family and I didn't regret it. I used to do everything on my own and you don't understand how much help at home means when you spend twelve hours at work and sometimes even more. Not to mention that I live with my younger sister who doesn't clean anything but her room and even that can't go without her nagging.

'Miss, I almost forgot, I have something for you. I found it while I was moving boxes yesterday and I thought you would want it.' Magda came back to the room holding something in her hand.

'What's that?' I asked Magda as she gave me an old photo which began a storm of emotions inside of me.

'Is that you and Stephanie?'

'Yes, that's my sister and me, almost fifteen years ago.' I answered while my throat tightened and started tearing at the sight of the picture.

'You two look really happy in that photo.'

'We really were because that's from the family trip with our parents. Trips like that were rare due to our parents used to work a lot and when they would take us somewhere our happiness had no end.'