18.

STEPHANIE

I heard the sound of my alarm clock and reluctantly opened my eyes, even after nine hours of sleep, I was sleep deprived, and in addition I was indescribably cold and dizzy. I got out of bed and got ready, because today it was my turn to prepare breakfast.

I combed Astra and fed her, because Nicole had previously warned me that if she saw any hair on her furniture, she would have to throw it out. I did not share her opinion, but at least we reached a compromise.

I went into the kitchen and made Nicole’s coffee first, because she was unbearable before the first coffee in the morning, and then I put tea on for myself too.

"Good morning, sister," she greeted me happily, which was completely unexpected for her.

Besides, she got up an hour earlier than needed. I really don't know how she manages to function with so little sleep and with that she manages to be positive at work... She was wearing her purple uniform, and her hair was raised in a high tail and I have to admit she looked ravishing.

"Good morning," I greeted her softly.

“Stephanie, why are your cheeks so red?” She approached me anxiously and gently rested her hand on my forehead.

"For God's sake, you're on fire!" Nicole started to panic, and I just looked at her confused.

My sister was known for always exaggerating when it came to me, but now she really looked worried. I didn't seem to be sick for a long time, so I forgot what she could become.

"I feel great, don't overdo it," I protested.

"Go to bed and lie down immediately, I'm going to get a thermometer," she began issuing orders again.

"I don't want Nicole, I promised to make breakfast..."

"You can't even stand on your feet, leave breakfast to me and go to bed."

"Nicole, I graduated at medical school, I guess as a doctor I know how to take care of myself..."

"That's great and I'm a maxillofacial surgeon, so I claim you're doing it very badly," she ignored my words and went for a thermometer.

"I want to see you in bed in two minutes," she snapped.

Realizing that I would feel best when I went to bed, I listened to her words and headed for my room, and Astra followed in my footsteps. I settled on the bed and wrapped myself in my favorite plush blanket, and Astra tried unsuccessfully to jump next to me. I laughed at her actions and helped her up, and she curled up next to me happily.

"Here you go," Nicole came into the room and handed me the thermometer.

"There's no need for that...",

I tried to answer her, but she gave me only one reproachful look that let me know that she was not in the mood for my games. I took the thermometer, and she carefully followed my every move and then settled next to me on the bed, starting to play with my hair.

This reminded me of a period when we were just beginning to live alone. Nicole was in her second year of college, and I started high school. I remembered very well my first cold and Nicole's panic in my eyes because she didn't know what to do. She had lectures, but she did not go that day. I even think that these are the only lectures she missed for the whole faculty. Instead of leaving me alone, she stayed next to me in bed and played with my hair, fantasizing with me about the life we ​​would one day live.

The squeak of a thermometer brought me back from memory, but Nicole somehow took it before me.

“39.2!” She panicked even more now.