2.

STEPHANIE

"Stephanie!" I hear my sister's voice and realize that I overslept once again.

"I'm in the room!"

I get up immediately because she will start criticizing me again if she finds me in pyjamas, I take my tracksuit from the closet and pull it on as fast as I can. I feel like a teenager who will be criticized by her parents for sleeping through the day. Nicole is completely irrelevant that I am twenty-four years old because she will always treat me like a child.

I somehow tied my hair in something that should be a ponytail and went out to greet my sister.

"If I hadn't come, you would probably have slept through the beginning of your own shift," she said as soon as she saw me.

"That's not true, I woke up about half an hour ago," I protested.

"Sure, and your hair is tousled because you just dried it ..."- she sighed. "You know that I absolutely can't stand two things, and that is violence and lies."

"Why didn't you set the table?" You are so lazy and irresponsible that it transcends all boundaries.

"Says the person who got us a maid." I defended myself.

"Don't you dare to criticize me, you know very well that my twelve-hour job gives you the luxury of living in the centre of Manhattan. Magda only occasionally cleans and cooks for us. "

I wouldn't admit it to her, but none of us could dedicate ourselves to maintaining the apartment because of her career as a maxillofacial surgeon and my residency. We barely managed to see each other. One would come home from work, and the other would always be ready to go. It has become something we are used to.

I knew she was exaggerating, like she always does, but I was somehow trying to justify it by her sudden growing up and accepting the role of my guardian. I can't even imagine how much strength it takes to study, work and take care of a teenage girl. She was for me and still is a father, a mother, a professor and an older sister.

"Are you even listening to what I am saying?"

Her annoyed voice brought me back from my thoughts, I could see the anger on her face. Why could she be all nice and kind at work but become an unbearable person at home?

"I was just thinking about what it takes to become as grumpy as you..."

"I'm going to take a shower and change my clothes, I'm too tired to argue with you," she shrugged.

She headed to her room and this really surprised me. She must have had a really tough day because she is always in the mood for criticizing her younger sister. She and I are general opposites, in fact, I think that our love for medicine is the only thing we have in common. I was a more relaxed sister; eager for fun, life, fun, and travel. The one that could only be serious in the workplace.

I set up the dining table and brought out a bowl with lunch that Magda had prepared. The kitchen smelled great so I believe my sister forgot to give her a menu this time. Without our maid, I think my sister would have turned me into a vegetarian in no time.

Nicole replaced her dark blue scrubs with comfortable black leggings and a classic white T-shirt. She liked to give the impression of a respectable and independent woman, which she achieved by wearing sophisticated business dresses and high heels, although I have to admit that she succeeded because she had a long waiting list at her clinic.

"Does the lady like everything now?" I joked when she sat down, and she looked at me grimly.

"We need to talk."