1.

STEPHANIE

"No Nicole, I'm not going to promotion of that book with you, I plan to get drunk on Friday and enjoy my youth, I don't want to see any book for a long time."

I turned down Nicole's offer because, after six years of studying medicine and preparing for more than demanding exams, I wanted to taste all the fun I missed. Besides, I wanted not to think about residency and patients for at least one night.

Of all the people on the planet, I got an antisocial and boring sister who despises any kind of entertainment. I love Nicole because she steered me on the right path after the death of our parents, but our views on life do not match at all.

"And the next morning you would go to work, wouldn't you?", She asked me critically: "You really want to lose that residency..."

"Sorry, I just got paged."

I finished the call and devoted myself to my meal. You never know when they may page me, and since I skipped lunch because of the traffic jam, I am in desperate need of this dinner. As a first-year resident of anesthesiology, I practically live in the hospital. I had working hours that officially lasted eight hours and unofficially it could be extended to fifteen hours, but still, I can't complain because this was my choice.

"Dr Bennett, we have a gunshot wound in examination room number 3," the nurse informed me, and I immediately got up and ran after her.

Can't at least one day pass without wounds inflicted by some kind of weapon?

"Did you call anyone from the surgery department?" I asked her because as a first-year resident I couldn't do much.

"Of course."

In front of the office, I saw four men in black suits who did not allow anyone to enter. I looked at the nurse confused, and she just shrugged and muttered, "That's security".

Wonderful, I just needed a lot of curious looks and someone to breathe behind my neck while I was working. I knew that people with protection occasionally end up in a hospital, and they would always be the most difficult patients to handle, but this is the first time I've come across something like this while I am on-call.

Two bodyguards approached me and prevented me from entering the room and I looked at them in disbelief.

"I'm a doctor-on-call right now, so please move and let me do my job."

"Check her first." the tallest of them spoke.

"None of you will approach me nor check me. Am I clear?" I refused.

"Sky, what's going on?" I heard a dominant male voice coming from the exam room.

I tried to peek, but those two bodyguards were huge. I have never felt so short with me being tall, meter and seventy-six. Their muscular and strong bodies completely filled my vision and none of them seemed friendly to me.

"Some young doctor refuses to get checked..."

"Let her pass." I heard that dominant and demanding voice again.

"But sir..."

"There's no "buts" Sky, you already made a mistake, and I just want to get this over with. I have to attend business meetings tomorrow."

"As you say, sir," he said and then they let me pass.

In the office, I saw a blonde man whose appearance simply exuded self-confidence and authority. I quickly glanced over at him and my attention was immediately drawn to the bloodstain on his sweater, he held gauze on his injured shoulder with his healthy hand to suppress the bleeding. Considering that he was still conscious and issued commands, I believe that the wound is only superficial and that there is no excessive reason for concern.