Forty Four

I can't... I just couldn't not utter...

"E-" I turn to find a smile drawn upon her face as she looked down at her screen and beamed.

I curiously peak at the screen expecting to see Stacey's name or even Scott's since he knows how to make her laugh even at the silliest matters but no...

It was no one other that Michael Smith's name on top of the chat...

The conversation within was a bit vague since Emma has a dimmed brightness... I could only catch some letters but not one whole word.

My mind debates an urge of confiscating her phone right now and lecturing her about being seated by a man and texting one another. I'm not going to say it felt like cheating but it's just highly disrespectful!

She probably just ended her conversation with him because she locked her phone and turned to look out the airplane window from where she sat.

I tear my gaze away from her and my eyes land on the bar ahead of us, just across our seats.

I impatiently wait for the seatbelt light to switch off so we can finally move around.

Her phone pings...

She checks it... She grins... Then she types something in.

A fraction of a second later, Michael turns his head towards us, extends a hand, and low fives Emma...

He winks at her and she chuckles...

He then turns to me.

"Do you think we're allowed to roam yet?" He asks.

"Do you think I'd still be seated here if we are?" I reply dryly, his forehead momentarily wrinkles but then he turns back to the front.

Good boy...

When I look to my left, Emma was glaring at me.

"What?" I stress on my jaw.

"Nothing at all..." She fakes a smile. Now that's just childish of her!

"So this is how you treat the guys who don't end up falling in love with you?" I utter out of an impulse driven by rage...

She stares at me wide eyed... A pained expression takes over her face and I felt like a whole planet has just been dropped on my head.

I look away before guilt consumes all of me.

She doesn't reply, and I don't turn towards her again.

Until the light finally comes off right after the flight attendant's announcement, I pull the belt off and head to the bar for a drink.

I only have two glasses of gin and tonic before heading back to my seat, which was currently occupied by Michael.

I fist my hands at my sides.

"Such an adrenaline rush, you've got to try it!" Michael voices the lasts of his conversation before they both acknowledge my presence. He rises.

"Great since you're here, let's get a drink I've got some few things to discuss with you." He speaks in his usual serious tone but I just couldn't suppress my frown.

I swear I was a minute away from blowing up this business opportunity and getting rid of that bastard.

"Of course..." I wait for him to go first and then I follow.

~~~~~~~~~~

Discussing some important matters with Michael had caused a huge lot of time to pass and I was grateful for the distraction.