Fifty Six

Emma's POV:

Today was both the happiest, and the most miserable day of my life.

The happiest, for my best friend's wedding was on final countdown...

The most miserable, for Luke Kent, has been both avoidant, and aggressive to me.

What have I done to deserve this?

Every time he opens up to me, he gets intensely shut off the day right after.

What was he afraid of?

I plainly asked, if not begged for his love...

Isn't it humiliating enough that I literally asked him to love me right after he learns to love himself?

My hands itched as they hovered above the cigarette that I stole from Luke's box this afternoon.

I was feeling suffocated...

It's about time I light it up!

I pull the slide door to my balcony open and step outside with the cigarette in hand, and a lighter in the other.

I seat myself down inhaling the fresh breeze.

My heartbeats dramatically escalate upon lifting the cigarette to my lips and placing it between them.

Fear of being caught by no one other than aggressive Luke Kent...

I push the brooch of the lighter down, hearing the ashes of the cigarette between my fingers burn with a prickling sound as I drew the first lungful, aiding the ignition process.

I cough...

Now that was one bold draw...

Maybe I should take it easy...

My throat was already wounded. This was definitely going to worsen matters...

I watch as the white clouds ooze out of my mouth and my head grows lighter.

Upon the first knock, my limbs disconnect, my joints tremble, and the cigarette slips from between my fingers, landing on my thigh, scorching through my skin before I rise jumpily and let it roll off my leg and land on the floor beneath me.

I dab it under my slippers and hastily head outside, stumbling a few times before I do.

He enters...

I freeze in my place.

His expression shifts knowingly.

My fingers involuntarily reach for my thigh caressing my wound up skin.

"I thought I told you not to do this again..." He approaches me stressing on his jaw infuriatingly.

"Are you going to shove me around now?" I say out of pathetic justification.

His face falls.

I wished I didn't say that...

I'm already frightened, ashamed, and very pained. Both physically and mentally.

And did I mention, hurt?!

He walks closer.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking I was-" He stutters.

"Jealous?" I ask.

He frowns momentarily.

"Yeah... Yes. I hate it when you're around that-" He pauses shutting his eyes in fury.

"Him..." He says and I search his eyes for more words.

"Emma it's just-you're so carefree when you're around him..." He says and now it was my turn to frown.