Chapter 7

Summer seemed to be going by a lot faster than expected. It was already June 25th, Karmen's birthday. Now she's 15. Her parents planned a party and invited all of her friends. Karmen was currently in her room, waiting for the party to start. Her hair was in a tight ponytail with a strand curled on each side. She had on a light pink, flowy dress and white flats that sparkled. She stood in her mirror, admiring her beauty. She jumped a little when she heard a knock on her door.

"Come in." She says, not bothering to turn around.

"Hey, honey. Are you excited?" Her mother says, taking a seat on her daughter's bed.

"Yes. I'm so excited! And I love the dress you picked out." The girl says, smiling.

"It's lovely, but it's missing one thing." Her mother says, getting up from the bed and standing behind her.

"What do you mean?" Karmen stares up at her through the mirror.

She gasps when her mother holds up a beautiful pearl necklace. She places it around Karmen's neck and clasps it in the back. Karmen watches in awe as the jewelry falls into place. 

"It belonged to your father's mother. She gave it to me on our wedding day, and she told me that I shall pass it on to my daughter when the time feels right. And, I don't know about you, but right now, it feels like the perfect time."

Karmen's eyes water as she turns around and hugs her mom. 

"It's beautiful, Mom. Thank you." She sniffles.

"Happy Birthday, Karmen." Her mother says.

Her mom walks out of the room and heads downstairs. Karmen examines the necklace. It was far more precious than anything she had ever owned.  She knew that she would cherish it for as long as she lived.

"Karmen, your guests are here!" Kenny barges in.

He stopped when he saw her.

"Wow, Karmen..."

"What? " She shrugged.

"It's just... you look pretty."

"Awe, thanks Kenny -"

"For a girl." He smirked viciously and then ran out of the room.

Karmen simply rolled her eyes and went to join the party.

She was more than confused when she got downstairs, and no one was there. The stereo was still playing.

"Where is everybody?" She thought.

As if on cue, all of her guests, and family jumped out of their hiding spots and yelled surprise. Of course, she knew about the party, but the real surprise was how many people showed up. Practically, the whole block was there.

"Happy Birthday, Karmen!" They all say.

"Thank you guys so much for coming. I hope you have fun!" She beams.

《《○》》

After speaking to all of her relatives, Karmen made her way to her friends. They were all playing a card game. The boys' attention slowly averted toward Karmen as she observed the game. She stood behind Kenny, peering at the cards in his hand. Kenny finally looked up from his hands and saw all of the boys staring at him.

"What are you all gawking at?"

Karmen then reached her arm over his shoulder, grabbed a card from his hand, and placed it on the table. The card she played caused him to win the game.