Chapter 8

The next day, Karmen could barely get out of bed. Her heart hurt and she didn't understand why. It's not like her and Benny were dating. She couldn't tell if she was sad, jealous, or angry. But one thing she did know was that she never wanted to see him again.

"Karmen," Kenny, shouted from the other side of her locked door, " Are you ready to go!" 

The girl lazily lifts her head up from under the covers, "Uh... Sorry Ken, I'm... sick." She replies, faking a cough.

"Are you ok? Do you need me to get Dad?" He sounded worried. 

"NO!" she declined immediately. "I just need some rest, that's all. You go ahead without me."

"O-k." he says before walking away.

Kenny grabs his things from his room and heads downstairs. He made it all the way to the door before he heard "Ah Ah Ah." from behind him. He slowly turns on his heels.

"Where do you think you're going, where's Karmen?" His mother stood in front of him, arms crossed.

Kenny took a look around to make sure his father was no where to be seen before answering,

"She said she wasn't feeling too well today but she doesn't want Dad to know." 

"Is everything alright?" She asked worriedly. 

"Yeah, maybe she just had too much cake." The Boy shrugged before walking out of the door. 

Mrs. Denunez knew her daughter better than Karmen knew herself. And because of that, she knew that Karmen hadn't had any cake last night. Something else was bothering her. She made her way to Karmen's room before knocking softly. Karmen drags herself away from her bed to unlock the door. When she opens it and sees her mother, she quickly tries to look sick. 

"Cut the crap Karmen, I know you're not sick." Her mother laughs lightly.

The girl sighs and gets back into bed. She throws the covers over head once more. Her mother just smiles and takes a seat at the edge of her bed. 

"What's wrong?"She asks.

But Karmen doesn't answer.

"Did something happen at the party last night?" 

Again, no answer. 

"Did it have something to do with that Rodriguez kid?"

Karmen Stiffens.

"Yeah, I thought as much. Tell me what happened, Caramel."

Karmen finally lifts her head up from the covers. The deep frown was painted across her face, became contagious as one began to form on her mother's face as well. 

"He--we danced and- th-the bracelet... an- aand  he held me hand an-d..." Karmen began crying as all her emotions began spilling out.

"I-i thought he liked me." She finally says.

Her mother simply pulls her into her chest. As she crys, she rubs her back in an attempt to comfort her.

 ~Meanwhile, With Kenny...~

It was weird walking to the lot alone. I hope Karmen felt better soon. I noticed it got quiet as I walked up to the lot. The guys just stared at me before Ham finally asked, 

"Hey, where's Karmen?"

"She wasn't feeling well so she stayed home." I shrug.

"Is she ok?" Benny asked.