Chapter 9

It's been a week since the 4th of July. Benny and Karmen haven't talked since that night. Benny wanted to talk to her, but every time he tried, she would ignore him or walk the other way.

The rest of the guys were starting to get tired of it.

"I can't take this anymore! We have to do something." Squints yells.

The six boys stood outside the convenience store, as they waited for Benny, Karmen, and Kenny to arrive.

"What can we do? She won't talk to him." Ham says in defeat.

"Well, what would Karmen do?" Yeah-yeah suggests.

They all get quiet as they think of a plan.

"Wait, guys, I think I got an idea!" Smalls says with a bright smile.

<<<<♡>>>>

Kenny and Karmen silently walk up to the parking lot of the convenience store. The walk there was severely quiet.  Karmen had been lost in thought while Kenny had been thinking about baseball.  It wasn't until they reached the parking lot, that they finally spoke.

"Where is everybody?" Karmen asked.

Kenny just shrugged. As if on cue, Ham and Squints come running from around the corner.

"Kenny!! Come quick! Some 7th grader pushed Tommy off his bike. We gotta go find him!."

"WHAT?" Kenny exclaims angrily.

"Is Tommy ok? Where is he?" Karmen asks.

"Yeah he's fine but you have to stay here Karmen." Ham says, giving Squints a look that says 'play along'.

"Yeah, you know, just in case they come back." Squints says.

"Ok but be safe. Don't need Kenny getting any more trouble." Karmen folds her arms as she glances at her brother.

He rolls his eyes.

"Come on, let's go." Ham says.

Then they were off. Karmen stood alone in the parking lot for a moment before Scott and Benny showed up.

"Hey, Karmen." Scott says with a smile.

"Hey, Scotty." She waved at him.

"Hi, Karmen." Benny waved as well.

Karmen simply rolled her eyes,

"Rodriguez."

Scott lightly gulped down air. This was gonna be harder than he thought.

"Looks like it's just the three of us..." Scott chuckles awkwardly.

"Looks like it." Karmen says.

A moment of silence passed. After a couple of glances were exchanged, Scott couldn't take it anymore.

"Come on guys! You two have to talk man. You're killing us. We can't even focus on baseball anymore. Benny can't swing and Karmen won't run! You gotta fix whatever problem this is and you gotta fix it NOW."

Karmen stared at Smalls.

She blinked a few times before looking and Benny. She let out a deep sigh and said ,