A Silent Drive

Bolt looked out the window. He could see the yellow hue of the lights that illuminated the highway that they were driving on. Bolt always liked watching the scenery go by. It was a good way to pass the time. Soon, the lights went away, and it was nothing but darkness outside the minivan and trailer, except for a farmhouse in the distance which had its lights on.

He glanced around the minivan he was in. Mittens was alseep in the backseat next to him. She had fallen asleep hours earlier when the sun started to go down. In the seat in front of him, Rhino was sleeping peacefully in his ball, which was secured inside an open backpack, which was seatbelted to the seat. Next to Rhino was Penny, asleep in a reclined chair using a pillow. Up in the very front was Penny's Mom, who was driving.

Bolt smiled, seeing everyone he loved at peace. He wanted to drift off to sleep too, but was excited to see his new home. He looked out the window, and saw a large white structure illuminated by bright lights. In big red letters it said "Pro-Pet" with smaller black letters spelling out "St Marys, Ohio" The dog had been reading the road signs of the road signs he saw along the trip, which was something Mittens taught him how to do. He couldn't see them well at night, however, but this told him he was in Ohio.

Bolt thought to himself for a bit. He wondered what his new home would look like. A week ago he had overheard Penny telling her mom "Bolt's gonna love his new home!" but he didn't know what it would look like.

Was it gonna be a bigger trailer, similar to the Airstream trailer he lived in at the studio? An apartment, like the one that he lived in during the fliming of his TV show? A house? Bolt was hoping it was a house. For most of his life, he had lived in small or cramped spaces. The kennel at the Sliverlake Animal Shelter, the apartment in the TV show, the Airstream trailer, he wasn't a fan of them.

The trailer he disliked the most. Bolt spent most of his time in there alone, while Penny was somewhere else. He couldn't do much in it, and often slept, or just looked at the photos on the wall while waiting for Penny to return. He was always a little worried when Penny was gone, as he wasn't there to protect her. Despite this, the trailer was attached to the minivan, being brought with him to his new home. The movie studio gifted it to them as a parting gift.

But now that was over. There was no TV studio to seperate him from Penny, and there were now two friends who joined him. Bolt smiled again, thinking of them as he countinued watching the scenery go past.

The sliver minivan soon began to cross a bridge, and began descending down an exit ramp. Bolt noticed the nearby town, which was illuminated with streetlights. The minivan made a left turn, and Bolt noted a sign that said they were going south on County Road 25a. This was the first sign he had seen in a while, as the road before had no illumination, so he wasn't able to read any.

Bolt knew they were close, as they had just gotten off the highway. All of the roads they had been on since California were the major highways, but now there were getting onto the backroads for the first time.

The road they were on was 25a, a road that went North-South across Ohio. 25a used to be a major source of traffic back in the day, until nearby I-75 was completed. The road today is still used by some traffic, but it is still quiet most of the time.

He watched as buildings passed him, a tractor dealership, and then some houses. Behind the houses and dealership was a railroad track. Bolt didn't realize what it was until a loud, booming horn echoed from behind the houses. Bolt jumped "Aah!" He exlaimed. Bolt looked around the car quickly to see if anyone had seen him jump.

No one had. But Bolt was still a little embarrassed he was startled by that.
He looked back out the window, and saw the bright headlights of the southbound freight train. The bright lights on the front helped him make out the color of it, bright yellow and dark blue. CSX, Bolt noted. Weeks earlier he had ridden on top of a CSX train, and this reminded him of it.

Bolt chuckled a little, and the train soon overtook the minivan. The sliver minivan began to slow down. Bolt took note, as they entered a small town. A light green sign, alluminated by the lights of a building read:

Botkins
CORP LIMIT

"What if it was called Boltkins?" thought Bolt to himself. He chuckled a little. He noted a building called "Meyers Tavern." After a few stop signs, the minivan was out in the countryside again. The minivan came to a stop at another intersection, On the southeast side of the road, was a pub "The Inn Between". About two minutes later, the sliver minivan pulled off the road, and into the driveway of a farmhouse. Bolt was finally at his new home.

Penny's mom shut off the minivan. She woke up Penny gently, and Penny awoke, asking "are we here now?" in a sleepy voice. Bolt excitedly got out, and Penny looked down at him.

"Look who's excited for his new home! You are!" Said Penny in a caring voice. Bolt looked up at the property. There was a big farmhouse, with lots of land around it. This is exactly what he had wanted. He was pumped. Penny's mom unlocked the front door, while Penny went back to the minivan to get Rhino and Mittens.

Bolt's excitement didn't last long though. It was very late, and Bolt himself was becoming tired. He struggled to keep his eyes open, as his eyelids began to feel heavy. He was ready to go to sleep.

Bolt walked inside, and waited for Penny and her mom, who had joined Penny in getting Rhino and Mittens. Mittens was carried in by Penny's mom, while Rhino was brought in by Penny.

Mittens and Rhino were both fast asleep, and were brought into the living room. Mittens was put on the red couch, while Rhino stayed in his hamster ball in the backpack.

Bolt looked into the living room. He noticed the big red couch, with a TV in front of it, with two lamps on either side. Photos of Pennys family were on the walls. Bolt slowly walked towards Mittens, who was still asleep on the couch. He quitely whispered "Goodnight, Mittens." and then walked towards Rhino.

Rhino was mumbling something in his sleep. Bolt couldn't make out what, but that didn't matter. "Goodnight Rhino" he whispered.

Soon Penny and her mom finished unloading the suitcases and pillows, and other supplies into the house.

"Bolt, its time for bed!" called Penny from upstairs. Bolt ran up the stairs, and into Penny's room. Penny was putting herself to bed, as Bolt came in. Bolt jumped onto the bed, and layed down next to her.

"We are gonna have tons of fun tommorrow, Bolt." said Penny.
Bolt replied "Indeed we are." to Penny that sounded like a soft bark, but she understood.
Penny's mom entered the doorway. "Goodnight you two, sweet dreams!"
"Thanks Mom, Goodnight!" replied Penny.

Penny's mom turned off the lights, and as she left the room. "Sweet dreams, Bolt" said Penny. But he was already asleep, with a warm smile on his face. Penny smiled too, and soon both of them had fallen asleep.

 Penny smiled too, and soon both of them had fallen asleep