11 - Temptations

"Are there any questions?"

Hoseok's students stared back with blank expressions. This was more common than he cared for. While Jimin could play with children and spend his time in the city with the citizens, Hoseok was confined to the high temple for his teachings. This was for both the safety of himself and for the safety of his students.

It was impossible for Hoseok to know when his daemon would surface.

One student raised his hand. Hoseok nodded to him.

"Master Hoseok," the student asked with his nose high. "How does one strengthen their relationship with the Star Goddess? I have been speaking with a colleague, who says that despite his prayer and meditations, his reciting of the holy scrolls, being surrounded by holy and virtuous people, he finds his soul feels distant."

Hoseok chuckled. "Tell him to stop trying so hard."

The students looked at him in surprised confusion. Shit. His words slipped out too easily.

Hoseok cleared his throat. "What I mean is, one can water his crops hourly, but they will not grow until its proper season. Let your colleague rest in his acts, faithfully assured that they will produce fruits in due time."

The students didn't smile, but they nodded thoughtfully. Yes, that was the holy leader image they were all looking for. It was a shame he was nothing like the image.

If you all really knew who I was... you wouldn't even be sitting in the same room as me.

Hoseok leaned forward to look out the window, his eyes catching the rain clouds forming outside.

"Let's finish for the day," Hoseok said, taking care to keep his words slow and unalarming. "I believe today's class leaves a lot for meditation. Tomorrow we shall continue our discussion on the sins of greed and lust."

On cue, his head started to throb. Hoseok bowed gracefully to the class and let himself out before they could ask him any further questions. He rarely stayed after class to converse with the students anyhow, so they would think nothing of it.

The pain throbbed, sharper and sharper, until he could feel his daemon solidifying. He looked over his shoulder at his students following out the door behind him. If they asked him any questions...

With a grunt, he slipped into the scroll room next door, leaning against the door as he shut it. The pain echoed through his skull.

Why did you allow me to be so broken and wretched? he prayed. Are you amused great Goddess? Does my suffering bring you glory?

He bent over, holding his head. The pain ebbed, euphoria taking its place. He looked up at the ceiling, smiling.

It was too ironic that he felt so much more pleasure as a demon than as a priest

As he brought his head down and looked forward, his eye caught movement. He leaned forward, catching a pale peach dress amongst the scrolls.