30 - Patterns

Jimin was late to breakfast again.

The Fallen prisoner had turned out to be more valuable than he anticipated. Jimin had expected to use force to get information out of the prisoner, but the prisoner was far too eager to share everything he knew. It felt like the prisoner was more interested in seeing the Fallen destroyed than the High Temple, which was fortunate but confusing.

The purpose of the Fallen was to go up against the Holy, after all. At the very least, they were a threat to the theocratic foundation of the kingdom. So why was this stray Fallen working towards their demise?

Perhaps it was bitterness and lack of purpose? The family that he trusted so easily betrayed him. If the Grand Master and Hoseok did the same to Jimin, would he act the same?

But Y/N hadn't betrayed Taehyung. She was the only one trying to help him.

Despite her suspicious behavior, it was one admirable trait that would be detrimental to living at the High Temple.

"Good morning, everyone," Jimin said, bowing and greeting each person individually at the table. They were already in the middle of eating, their plates half empty.

"You're late again," the Grand Master scolded as Jimin kissed her cheek.

"My apologies, Grandmother," Jimin said. "But I stayed in the prison late last night, and slept through the morning bell."

"How is Taehyung, Teacher Jimin?" Madame Zhou asked.

"He's well." Jimin sat at the table across from Madame Zhou and Ningyi, two staff members rushing to bring him tea and rice. "He's been most cooperative, and non-confrontational. Grandmother, I hesitate to bring business to the table, but I'd say that though he claims to be a Fallen, he has none of their views. His actions are more motivated by –"

Jimin looked at Ningyi, who had a sour face as she looked at her rice and scooped it with her spoon.

Love seemed like a horrible word for him to use at this moment. It didn't even look like she would appreciate it.

"-- motivated by unselfishness," Jimin finished.

The Grand Master pursed her lips. "Noted, but it's not mine to decide. I've put Hoseok fully in charge of the trial."

Jimin nodded, understanding. The king and Madame Leichu were challenging Hoseok most, meaning the citizens would start to doubt him too. The Grand Master was leaving the trial in Hoseok's hands - after all, he had done many similar trials anyways - in order to put to rest rumors and to continue to hold the citizen's esteem.

"Where is he, by the way?" Jimin asked.

"In the meditation room," the Grand Master said.

Suddenly, the whole room was tense, a shadow over every face of the Zhou family.

Jimin stopped sipping his tea. "What's wrong?"

There was a hesitation. Jimin looked around the room, realizing that Y/N wasn't at the table either.

"Hoseok and Y/N went to the Tombs of the Great Kings yesterday," the Grand Master said. "But it seems that after returning, Y/N disappeared."