Chapter 5

I woke up the next morning to a silent house. I went out back to play with Selena and Tony. They ran around and Tony was so happy that he peed. Once they were done rolling around in the grass, we went inside.

I was thinking about so many things. I was thinking why Janet wouldn't tell me if my own parents were alive or not!

They're alive!

Why else wouldn't Janet not tell me? She would've told me if they were dead, but if they're alive, she wouldn't tell me!

Wow.. I'm so smart!

When I closed the door behind me, I turned around and saw Ethan standing in front of me.

"What is it, Ethan?" I asked annoyed. I walked around him and went to make my breakfast.

"Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." He said jokingly.

I turned around to face him. "I'm kind of not in the mood this morning, Ethan." I said, pouring the milk in my bowl to touch my cereal.

"What's going on? You wanna talk about it?" He asked.

Should I tell him? He is my brother. "Well, aunt Janet called yesterday. We talked and I asked her if mom and dad were dead or not." I said scared.

"What'd she say?" Ethan asked looking over at me.

I turned to look at him. "She said she can't answer my question. Then hung up." I said. I took one last bite and put my bowl in the sink.

"That was it?"

"Yeah. I need to know if mom and dad are dead or not, Ethan! I don't want to live with John and Janet anymore!" I said.

"Well, that's not really your choice, Chloe." Ethan said calmly.

"Well it should be! I'm 16 years old, I should be able to choose who I want to be with for the next two years!" I said.

"What's going on?" Grayson asked looking back and forth at Ethan and me.

"It's nothing." I said grabbing my car keys. "It's always gonna be nothing." I walked towards the front door.

"Chloe!" Ethan yelled.

I didn't stop no matter how many times they called my name. I walked out the front door and got in my car. I started the engine and drove out of the drive way.

I didn't know where I was going. All I knew, was that, I was going somewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I drove around for 2 hours. Just driving around town, doing nothing but driving.

I got back to the house and I looked at my phone. I had 5 missed calls from Ethan and 2 missed calls from Grayson. I had my phone on silent and the music turned up, full blast.

I got out of the car and unlocked the front door. I opened it and saw Ethan sitting on the couch watching TV and Grayson sitting in the kitchen eating a pizza.

I walked in with them not noticing, until I slammed the door shut behind me, still looking at them. They jumped a few inches from their seats.

Ethan got up from the couch and walked over to me. I was expecting him to yell at me, but instead he hugged me. I was shocked at first, but then gave in and hugged him back.

"I'm sorry." I said into his shirt.

"It's okay. You were upset. I shouldn't have pushed you so hard to tell me what was wrong." Ethan said petting my hair over and over again.

I backed away to see Grayson staring at me. He pulled me into a hug as well. He set his chin on my head.

"Don't do that ever again, Chloe." He said rubbing my back.

"I know. I'm sorry." I said.

He pulled back and we all stood looking at each other.

"So, what happened while I was gone?" I asked.

When Ethan was about to say something, the door busted open. I turned around and saw Janet and John.

"You called them!?" I yelled in a whispered tone of voice towards Ethan when I turned around.

"What was I supposed to do, Chloe? You left and were gone for 2 hours!" Ethan yelled in a whispered tone of voice back.

I sighed and turned around. "Hi." I said cautiously.

"What were you thinking leaving like that and not telling your brothers?" Janet asked with her arms folded.

"I already apologized to them! I didn't know they actually cared!" I lied. Of course they cared. They left me 7 calls together!

"Of course they would care, Chloe. They're your brothers for God's sake!" Janet said.

"Well, I know that now!" I yelled back.

"Watch your tone young lady!" John said.

"Chloe-" Grayson started to say.

"Why should I? Your not my parents!" I said and walked to my room.

"Chloe Marie Gilds, get your a** back here right now!" I heard John yell.

After he yelled at me to come back, I slammed my door shut and locked it. I walked over to my bed and laid down. When my head hit the pillow, I started crying.

I miss you mom and dad. Please, come and take me back!