Chapter 14 - Operation; Find the hopeless romantic

[ Lucy Heartfilia's POV ]

I can't believe that I'm holding someone's hand besides my boyfriend's. I was holding Gray's hand as we strolled around the busy streets of this place we aren't even found of just for the sake of finding that hopeless romantic murderer. I don't know why we had to be the mouse whom the cat will chase. Should we be the one chasing the suspect not the other way around?

"Did you find anything suspicious, Gray?" I asked the raven haired guy who was standing beside me. Aside from the creepy glares and gossips about us from the people we passed by, no one seemed to be suspicious, except for the red haired woman who was camouflaging herself to the bushes in front of us. "Ugh, why does she need to do that? She scares me more rather than the fact that someone will kill us," I heard Gray muttered lowly beside me, letting out a sigh as he closed his eyes for a moment. We went to sit on a bench near the fountain, hand in hand and our shoulders brushing to each other. It may look to some but really, we're not a couple. We were only pretending in order for the murderer to catch us, in order for us to catch him instead. I somehow felt nervous being so lovey-dovey with a person whom I only treated as my bestfriend. Well, of course, my inner self kept on telling me that this isn't right even though we've known each other for years, even if we're both drawn closer to each other. Also, I feel guilt running through me knowing that my dear Natsu probably would hate the idea of me doing this even if it's only an act. Knowing Natsu that much, he doesn't like the idea of seeing any other guy, especially Gray, to take something or someone important to him. So girls/guys, this is why you should not make your bestfriend as your boyfriend/girlfriend if you don't want your friendship to turn into a waste.

"This is getting awkward than I thought.." Gray whispered at me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. When his hand touched my skin, I realized that he was being literally cold at the moment. I knew from the look on his face that this was something that he found it easy to do. Yes, Gray Fullbuster wasn't romantic as you think. I let out an unconvinced laugh, only making our atmosphere more awkward as ever. Wrong move, Lucy. "Yeah, I didn't think that a cold guy like you would be touchy."

"What?"

"O-Oh, nothing. Hehe..." My eyes immediately averted away from his confused look, making me want to burry myself in a deep, deep hole. This guy reminded me more of Natsu; him being so slow when it comes to jokes. Or maybe, being serious instead. My eyes scanned around the area and an ice cream stall just caught my interest. Ice cream! One of my favourites!

Me and Natsu used to buy ice cream everytime we went to a date. Well, small things fill my happy tab easily! Every little thing that you do already makes me feel happy, especially when you're being sincere and value on what you're doing. Natsu was like that though and reminding him and our memories made my heart cringe in disappointment. I just miss him so much.

"Ice cream?"

"H-Huh?"

After being so nostalgic because of a simple ice cream stall, I didn't realize that I carelessly caught someone interest. A guy with brown messy hair with an eye patch covering his right eye was now offering me a chocolate ice cream, smiling at me even though I'm nothing but a complete stranger to him. From the corner of my eye, Gray was staring intently to this guy as if he had done so many cruel things in the world. Things get a little awkward in here-- and it is my fault! "O-Oh please! Don't bother.."

"Yes, don't bother at all. I can even buy my girlfriend a tub of ice cream," Gray said in a mocking way, raising an eyebrow at the random guy in front of us. The guy lowered the ice cream and shrugged his shoulders, "Oops. I should have known.." His smile still appeared in a pleasant way despite him being in an awkward situation right now. He even looked like he wasn't seeing this as an awkward situation at all.
He stretched his other free hand and finally introduced himself to us, "Hello. I am Yu, by the way. You?"