Chapter 18 - Comeback

Natsu Dragneel's POV ]

Today is the day, and I've never really expected for this day to come at all. Maybe this is our fate, maybe that fate really want me and Lucy to be together for a long time, for forever. 

"Natsu, I have a question for you."

I quirked an eyebrow at her, as a sign for her to go on. Lucy and I were at the great hall of the Fairy Tail guild, we just arrived here yesterday after we all decided to hold the ceremony tonight while they, Erza along with Gray and Gadjeel, plan on taking my real body here after their serious talk with Mr. Dragon. Lucy, Wendy, Levy and Me decided to go home to spread the good news to everyone else in the guild, also to our friends from different guilds to celebrate my so-called comeback.

Here I am, beside my beloved blondie who's taking her breakfast, her favourite pancake with butter and honey on top with a glass of milk and water by her side. She's about to take another spoonful of her pancake when she paused to speak, smiling silly at me. "Can you eat with the state that you are in right now?"

I pouted, crossing my arms as she tried to hold on her laugh. "What do you think, Lucy? Of course not! I am even doubting myself whether I have a stomach or not!"

She smiled, oh I really miss this smile, and gave me a pat saying, "Don't worry, Natsu. After this day-- no, maybe after this ceremony, you will be able to feel your stomach again. You will be able to eat meals with me and your family here in Fairy Tail."

"I do really hope so, Lucy.." I closed my eyes and tried to imagine the thought that Lucy is creating in my mind. It's been months since I had a dinner together with them and hell how I'm badly wanting it to happen again!

Can we fast forward to my comeback ceremony already? Every minute feels like hours for me and I definitely can't wait to touch her, to feel her warm embrace and to kiss her soft lips.  I can't wait to be with her again.

Maybe this time, I'll be able to protect her. I'll be able to eat meals with her. I'll be able to take a lot of jobs with her. Maybe this time, I'll be able to fulfill my promises to her.

Lucy snapped her fingers right in front of me, her lips curled up in a sincere smile. She held my hand and gave it a squeeze, non verbally saying to me to calm down, to stop myself from thinking. I looked at her, and squeezed her hand back. Even without words left spoken, I could already tell what she was trying to say to me. Since back then, Lucy already is, and the only person who's always there to comfort me and to control me from raging my anger. She is the only one who could stop and calm the storm inside me.

Lucy did not change. She never did from the very moment I met her.  And this is one of the reasons why I never stopped from loving her. It's been a while since I felt this warm and contented feeling.

It brings me back the memories during the Grand Magic Games, wherein future Lucy died in front of me. Maybe this is what Lucy felt the day I died on her arms. It really is heartbreaking, you know. I had no words back then, all I really want is to avenge her death. My present Lucy sat and cried unknowingly beside her future self. My heart felt like shattering especially after seeing her cry. Lucy might have felt vulnerable, fragile and all I wanted is to hold her hand and to tell her that what her future self saw will never happen in the present.

I started to feel guilty again... I may not have died in the hands of the 7 dragons and future Rogue during the Grand Magic Games, but I died just because of a single dragon that I could not even handle as a Dragon Slayer.

And at that time, I thought, "Am I even worth it to be called as a Dragon Slayer?

"As Igneel's son?"