Chapter 6 Winter is Coming

When word got out that the king would be arriving shortly, people began to flood the courtyard by the gate. Ned Stark stood next to his wife along with his sons and daughters. Benjen stood to the side with Jon, Martyn, and Asha at his side.

Visitors began pouring through the castle gates in a river of gold and silver and polished steel, three hundred strong, a pride of bannerman and knights, of sworn swords and freeriders, and a handful of demon slayers. In rode Ser Jamie Lannister, the kingslayer, with his flowing golden hair, looking ever so gallant. Next rode in a large man wearing the typical outfit of the demon slayers, along with a long coat that had the bottom ripped to shreds. The most noticeable feature of his was his face, which had a hideous burn scar covering half of it. Attached at his waist were two swords.

Beast Hashira-Sandor Clegane

Yet the most noticeable of them all was the huge man who rode in the front with two knights at his side. King Robert Baratheon, who now seemed like a stranger to Ned. It had been years since the two have last seen each other, and in that time Robert had gotten so much fatter. Robert got off his horse and walked over to Ned and wrapped him in a bone-crushing hug. "Ned! Ah good to see that frozen face of yours!" The looked at him, from topped to bottom. "You have not changed at all."

"Your Grace, Winterfell is yours." Ned simply said.

By then all of the others in his party began to dismount from their horses. From the wheelhouse the queen emerged, Cersei Lannister. Without a doubt she was beautiful, with the signature golden hair and green eyes of a Lannister. Ned knelt in the snow and kissed the queen's ring, as courtesy. Meanwhile Robert hugged Catelyn as if she were an old friend. Ned proceeded to introduce each of his children to Robert.

No sooner had these formalities of greeting been completed that Robert then said to his host, "Take me down to your crypt Eddard, I wish to pay my respects."

Ned loved him for that, for still remembering her after all of these years. He called for a lantern. No other words were needed. The queen began to protest, but Robert merely shrugged her off. Their party had been riding since dawn, and everyone would love nothing more than to rest. Jamie gently grasped his sister's arm and led her away.

"Where is our imp of a brother?" she whispered to him. "Go and find the little beast."

With that Jamie went off to find their brother Tyrion. As the crowds began to disperse, Sandor and Benjen approached each other. Both being hashira, they each other and were aware of the skills they possessed. The two men looked at one another in the eyes, the scowl never leaving Sandor's face.

"Been a while hasn't it Sandor?" Benjen said with a smile. "Never that I'd see you protecting the royal party."

Sandor grunted. "I'd rather be hunting down demons, but the Lord Commander asked for me specifically. Don't know why, I'd rather not be guarding a bunch of royal pricks." he spat that last part out.

"To be fair you out of all the hashira, you are easily one of the strongest. If not already the best. Seems rather fitting to have someone like you guard the king." Benjen said.

"Please, the only kinds of demons that would attack a group of three hundred are the young and bold ones. The dozen demon slayers here are more than enough protection." Sandor said, he then eyed the others. "Who are these lot?"

"These are our newest recruits, fresh out of the exam." Benjen said stepping to the side. "Meet..."

Sandor cut Benjen off. "No need for introductions, no point in learning a dead man's name." His eyes then landed on Martyn. "Blonde hair and green eyes, no doubt that you are a Lannister."