Chapter 11 Tourney of the Hand

Sansa rode to the Hand's tourney with Septa Mordane and Jeyne Poole, in a litter with yellow curtains so fine she could see right through them. They turned the whole world gold. Beyond the city walls, a hundred pavilions had been built alongside the river, and the common folk had come out in the thousands to watch the games. The splendor of it all took Sansa's breath away; the shining armor, the great chargers caparisoned in silver and gold, the shouts of the crowd , and the banners snapping in the winds. What stood out the most were the knights themselves. 

"It is better than the songs." she whispered to themselves. They have arrived at the place where her father had promised them, among the high lord and ladies. Sansa was dressed beautifully that day, wearing a green gown that brought out the auburn in her hair. Jeyne Poole herself wore a beautiful dress and blue and white, the colors of her house. 

The two girls watched as the heroes of a hundred songs ride past, each one greater than the last. The seven members of the Kingsguard took the field, all but Jaime Lannister wore their milked colored armor and capes. Ser Jaime wore the white cloak as well but wore golden armor with a helm in the shape of a lion's head. Ser Gregor the Clegane, often called The Mountain that Rides, stormed past them like an avalanche. 

Sansa had remembered Ser Yohn Royce, who was once guested at Winterfell two years ago. They say that he wears bronze armor with runes carved into them that would protect them, or so she whispered to Jeyne. Septa Mordane pointed out Lord Jason Mallister, in indigo chase with silver, the wings of an eagle on his helm. He had cut down three of Rhaegar's bannerman at the trident. The girls giggled over the warrior priest Thoros of Myr, until the septa told them he once scaled the walls of Pyke with a flaming sword in his hand. 

Other riders that Sansa did not know of; hedge knights from the Fingers and Highgarden and the mountains of Dorne, unsung free riders and newly made squires, the younger sons of high lords and the sons of lesser lords. Younger men, most of yet to do great deeds, but Sansa and Jeyne agreed that one day their names would ring across the Seven Kingdoms. Ser Balon Swann, Lord Byce Caron of the Marches, Bronze Yohn's heirs, Ser Andor Royce and his younger brother Ser Robar, both wore the bronze armor. The twins Ser Horas and Hobber Redwyne,  both held shields that displayed the burgundy grape cluster sigil of their house. The son of Lord Jason Mallister, Ser Patrik, was here as well. Five Freys of the Crossing; Ser Jared, Ser Hosteen, Ser Danwell, Ser Emmon, and Ser Theo. 

Also here were dozens of demon slayers all treated as honored guest. They would be sitting with other lords and ladies. Sansa had never seen so many in one place, only ever seeing few that stopped at Winterfell to rest. The members here ranged of both men and woman, all the way from Dorne to even some looking like they could be from the North. 

All wore the black uniform of the Corp, but some wore things on top of it. She saw one woman wearing a yellow surcoat with a snake wrapped around a foot, talking to an older man who had a red long coat with a ram's head. Sitting on a stool was an older man with a silver cloak with a triple spiral. Even Sandor Clegane was here, no one dared approach him. 

There was one demon slayer that stood above the rest. As he walked by the other demon slayers bowed their heads in respect. He was a young man, with hair golden red like fire. He wore a long coat, black with a forked purple lightning bolt and white stars. 

Flame Hashira-Beric Dondarion 

Beric sat in the same pavilion as Sansa and began talking with some of the high lords. Jeyne found him to be utterly dashing and proclaimed that she would marry him. 

Beric took notice of Sansa and gave a slight bow. "You are Sansa Stark correct?"

"I am my lord." Sansa answered.