chapter 2

-reader's pov-

it was now the next day, the sun shone weakly behind the thick clouds as large gusts of winds attempted to blow me over. alas, I still trudged on forwards, my heavy boots thumping against london's cobbled streets. I was approaching my destination, I was approaching the matchstick factory.

after walking alongside the murky river thames for a short while, I noticed a large gathering of women of all ages heading in the same direction. up an unfamiliar street, which I guessed led to the factory.

after realising this, I quickened my pace into a light jog. eventually, I caught up and merged into the crowd, hoping to appear unquestionable.

the other women and I continued to walk until we reached a towering, brick bridge. I gazed up at the structure, inspecting it carefully as I passed underneath. 'match factory, lyon.' it read with a walking lion moulded in between the words. 

- - - - -

I scribbled a fake name onto the sign up sheet with the blunt pencil, not wanting to give any real information away.

"mouth." a man in a top hat instructed to me as I finally reached the wooden counter after queuing for quite some time.

reluctantly, I opened my mouth and the man peered inside before giving me a lazy nod. signalling I was clear to go.

I supposed they were searching for typhus, it had caused a lot of deaths recently.

the sound of creaking machinery rang through my ears as I entered the workshop centre. girls were situated at each and every counter, miserably sorting out the white-tipped matches.

steam smoked from many of the wooden machines, radiating an awful stench around the grim room. my nose crinkled at the disgusting smell as I continued to wonder around. until I was shoved to a worktop by one of the men that was stalking about.

I gave him an annoyed scowl before getting to work. unsure of what to do, I looked around at the other unknown girls that I shared a worktop with. they were collecting the matchsticks and boxing them up with ease.

it couldn't be too hard, right?

so there I stood, my index and middle finger apart as I trailed them along, trying my best to do the job. but despite it being my first time, I actually did okay. I managed to collect them all up with only a light struggle before placing them into the small cardboard box.

but it appeared as though someone didn't manage to do the job as well as me. a loud slam echoed around, gaining almost everyone's attention as they turned to look at the top-hatted man.

"that is a penny off your wages." he bellowed angrily, his ferocious stare fixed upon a young girl who had just knocked her matches to the hard floor.

"she's just learning the way, mr crouch." an even younger girl timidly told him.

"well, she better learn quicker." mr crouch spat, "or it's a penny off yours too." he then trailed away from the two girls before storming around the room again, "anyone else want a money dock?" he called out rhetorically, "how about you, ey?" he jabbed his wooden cane at a girl who didn't reply. she just continued working, too scared to do anything. "no, I didn't think so." mr crouch grumbled before resting against a dusty banister.

after this whole scene, I returned back to work, managing to complete another set of matches. I was on a roll until yet another distraction was made. a huge bowl of the matches clattered to the ground with a clash, mr crouch had knocked his cane into it.

"how did that bloody happen, eh?" he boomed, despite knowing it was completely his fault, "well, pick 'em up!"

I sighed in utter frustration, this man was a living prick. but then just as I was about to start working again, something caught my eye.

the same girl from earlier was creeping up the stairs.. I knew something was up with her.

I bit my lower lip whilst glancing around, looking to see if anyone was watching before quickly slipping away to the side. I ducked down low whilst crawling around, making my way to the staircase. but there I was forced to pause, I was frighteningly close to where the accident had happened. many girls scrambled around, picking up the fallen matches. luckily none of them had noticed me yet, but I fear they would. it was now or never.

I huffed to myself before sneaking around the banister and up the stairs. once I was up there, I knelt down again and peeked through the stained window.

the blinds blocked my view a little but I still managed to get a good glimpse inside. that same girl was ruffling through some old book, this caused my suspicions to increase. she curiously looked down at the page, tilting her head like a dog whilst she picked something up. I couldn't tell what it was from here but it was small and thin, possibly a strand of hair?

suddenly, a loud noise came from the room beyond. the girl returned the book to the green safe and locked it shut quietly. she then got up and slowly crept towards the room beyond before peering into that window.

she was oh so definitely up to something.

was she the girl I'm looking for?

more than likely so..

a few moments later, after stalking on the people in that room. she quickly ducked down and hid away, leading me to believe that these people were leaving. I was quick to spring into action, I leapt back behind a wall and ducked down, holding my breath.

and as predicted, a line of
well-dressed people exited the room, talking amongst themselves. shortly followed by the girl, who snuck back down silently. I watched as she did so, her wavy brunette hair blowing in the wind as she took gentle steps. before then rushing back to her own worktop with the younger girl. reminding me I had to retreat too, but how?..

I glanced around, checking if the coast was clear before crouching again. from there, I quietly made my way down the stairs and back to my counter. where I began to work again, but I just couldn't pull my eyes off that brunette girl.

it was now blatantly obvious this was the girl I'm looking for, enola holmes.