The Beginning of the New

As I slept, I dreamt of an area I had never been to before. It was an astounding place, trees filling ever single corner, and a large lake sitting in the middle. There were rolling hills, and many different animals that I have only imagined before. Magical beasts roamed these lands, namely in the forest, feeding off the grasses and berries there. A large, leafless tree stood afar from a building. This building looked like a castle, with tall turretts that seemed to extend into the sky forever. There were brick walls covered in vines, and little purple flowers. I felt weightless, and I had no idea where I was. I smiled widely, looking around at the area around me. I floated down to the ground, my bare feet coming in contact with plush green grass. I wiggled my toes, digging into the ground, smiling even wider. I walked quietly, my footfalls silent, as I explored the area. I came to a place where the grass met cobblestone ground, and there were, what looked like, hallways, forming a square around this little area. I made my way towards these 'hallways', leaning in to peer around, before stepping onto the floor. I smiled once again, and continued to explore this unknown place. I saw a door ahead of me, and I ran joyfully towards it. I slowed down, and reached my hand up to grab the brass knocker that was there. There was an emblem of an eagle on it. I pushed on the door, letting it open slightly, before beginning to step in.

      Groaning, I woke up to light flooding my eyes. My father stood next to my bed, a small smile on my face. I pulled up my blanket, that had somehow found it's way wrapped around me. I refused to get up, wanting to discover where that magical place was, and what it was.

      "Roselina, you have to wake up. It is lunch time," my father spoke, gently, shaking me slightly, once again. My eyes widened under the blanket. Lunch time? I threw the blanket off of me, leaning under, and looking at my father. My jaw hung slackly, as I looked at him with wide eyes. My father laughed, his head falling back, as he took in my expression. "Yes dear, it is lunch time. You slept for a long time when you went back to sleep." I groaned once again, before turning so my legs fell over the edge of my bed. I lifted my arms up, looking hopefully at my father. He laughed once again, before placing his back towards me. I wrapped my arms around his neck, as he grabbed my legs. I placed my head on his shoulder.

      "Onward horsey. It is lunch time!" I yelled, making my father wince at the loud sound. He made a sound like a horse, before trotting out of the room. I smiled widely, throwing my head back, and laughing loudly. I heard my father laugh with me. He slowed down to a walk, once we came to the stairs. Still holding me, he walked down the stairs, being careful not to drop me. Once we reached the bottom of the stairs, he squatted down, letting go of my legs. I placed my feet gingerly on the ground, the coldness of it shocking me once again. My father and I made our way into the kitchen, the floor tile making goosebumps rise on my legs, as the coldness hit my feet. This floor was even colder than the hardwood! I quickly launched myself onto the kitchen counter, letting my feet hand off the edge. My father was rummaging around in the pantry. He leaned out, looking at me.

      "What would you like for lunch, Rosie?" he asked, a box of cereal in his arms. I thought about it for a minute, looking off into the distance, making a "hmm" noise.

      "I'll have cereal as well." I answered. I hopped off the counter, skipping towards the opposite side of the kitchen. I reached up, opening a cabinet that held bowls. I grabbed two large, yellow, plastic ones, before returning to my father. He poured the cereal, Rice Chex, into the bowls, before pouring milk as well. On our way to the black, square kitchen table, we grabbed spoons. I say at the table, my feet barely reaching the ground, scooping cereal into my mouth. I gazed longingly out the window, looking at the serene landscape. The afternoon sun was beating down on the land, a soft breeze fluttering through, with the sound of birds chirping from the distance. Blades of grass were swaying gently, caught up in a slow ballroom dance. Just beyond the back porch, the grass met the concrete, leaves swirling atop each, too busy to stop the game of tag.

      "Roselina, are you alright sweetheart?" My father asked, making me look up. I blinked, once again becoming aware of my surroundings. Father looked at me, concern lacing the happiness in his eyes. Lifting another spoonful of cereal to my mouth, I nodded slightly. He smiled a small smile, looking out the window as well. "It is beautiful, isn't it?" He asked, his eyes flittering around, trying to take everything in.

      "Papa?" I questioned, a thought suddenly appearing in my mind. He looked up, acknowledging me. "Why do my eyes change color?" I had always been confused, but enthralled by the idea of my eyes. For as long I was able to look in a mirror for myself, I was captivated by my eyes. My original chocolate brown colored eyes, always shone out. There were those instances, though, where my eyes changed color. Now that I thought about it, they usually changed color with my emotions. I glanced back up at my father, who had on a look of concentration. He looked at me, opening his mouth to answer, which made me lean forward, perching perilously on the edge of my seat. Father's mouth closed, then opened again, making him look similarly close to a fish, his eyes fixated on one specific spot.

      "I...I don't know, dear. Something you'll just have to find out," he replied, making me look down in frustration. I wasn't frustrated at him, more at myself for asking a question neither of us knew the answer to. My curiosity had always gotten me into trouble. I sighed deeply, eating the final remnants of my cereal. I not-so-gracefully leapt off my chair, landing on my feet. I turned around, grabbing my bowl, before trudging towards the sink. Standing atop my toes, I placed the bowl in the sink, angry as to why the counter-top had to be so tall. Walking with a bounce in my step, I went back into the foyer, looking up the winding staircase, that always seemed to disappear into the ceiling, and extend into the clouds. I laughed quietly to myself, thinking of a toddler's story, Jack and the Beanstalk, imagining the stairs at the beanstalk. Laughing quietly to myself once again, I trekked up the stairs, pausing briefly to peer down the center of the stairwell, again imagining that is was the great beanstalk. I traipsed into my bedroom, and made my way to my bed. Climbing on it, I grabbed the book I had been recently reading from my nightstand. Opening to the page where I folded the corner in, I began reading The Great and Terrible Beauty once again. I sat with one leg folded underneath the other, the book placed in my lap. I became indulged in the book, losing sense of the place around me. I was so engrossed in the book, reading the rather large text, for a person my age, that I hadn't noticed the sun starting to set until I finished. I walked over the window next to my bed, leaning my head onto the brown, wooden crowning the surrounded it. Looking out across the land, and the treetops, I watched the sun slowly begin its decent into the horizon. The colors it blessed the sky with took my breath away, orange and red hues blending in with the oncoming blue ones. I smiled to myself, a small smile, that some could mistake for a smirk. Prancing towards the wall opposite of where I was, I flicked the lights off, darkness filling my room. The only light provided was from the sun, and that too, was slowly diminishing. I walked back to my cozy bed, lifting myself into it, and pulling the comforter over my body. Laying my head down onto the pillow, I stared longingly out the window, imagining the world outside of my home. Before I knew it, my eyelids fluttered close, darkness enwrapping me, with the sunlight on my face.