Matthew 3: The Power of Anointing

Matthew 3:3-6 THE POWER OF ANOINTING

3 In those days John the Baptist came, preaching in the wilderness of Judea 2 and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near." 3 This is he who was spoken of through the prophet Isaiah:

"A voice of one calling in the wilderness,
'Prepare the way for the Lord,
make straight paths for him.'"[]

4 John's clothes were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey. 5 People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. 6 Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.

Karon, nag-abot ang tion nga si Juan nga manugbautiso nagkadto sa kamingawan sang Judea, kag nagsugod siya sa pagwali sa mga tawo. Nagsiling siya, 2 "Hinulsuli kag bayai ninyo ang inyo mga sala, kay malapit na[] ang paghari sang Dios!"[] 3 Si Juan amo ang ginhambal ni Propeta Isaias sang nagsiling siya,

"May nagawali sing mabaskog sa kamingawan. Nagasiling siya sa mga tawo,
'Ipreparar ninyo ang alagyan para sa Ginoo.
Tadlunga ang dalan nga iya pagaagyan.'

SERMON:

Good evening Church! A few days ago we finished the Old Testament and we are now back to the New Testament on the 3rd chapter of Matthew. Tonight we are going to receive new revelations and wisdom from the Holy Spirit as we go through the Word.

Our passage tonight tells about John the Baptist calling out in the wilderness, preaching to the people, telling them to repent because the kingdom of God is near. And so people from Jerusalem and Judea and all over the regions of Jordan came to him to confess and to be baptized by him.

Now, this is amazing because John the Baptist, as described by the passage, was wearing a garment made from camel's hair,and a leather belt. And according to the Scriptures, he ate locust and honey.

Try to imagine what John the Baptist looked like in that fashion.

Even for common people John the Baptist could have appeared a little bit weird. However, surprisingly, when he began preaching, when he cried out that people should repent, people came out from different places, and they confessed to him and they were baptized by him.

The question is, why did people come out and listen to him? Why did people believe John the Baptist in spite of how he was dressed up? Normally people would look at others by their outward appearance. And most of the time, it is difficult to speak or to convince people if they think that the person does not meet their standard.

The odds are:

People may mock you. People may persecute you. People may make fun of you. People may insult and belittle you.

But John the Baptist was able to draw people out, even just by wearing camel's hair as a garment and a leather belt. He did not enjoy a lavish lifestyle but ate only locust and honey, but people came to him, listened to him, confessed to him and baptized by him. What is it about John the Baptist that made people come to him?

For us to understand better let us try to know who John the Baptist is.

John was born to righteous parents Zechariah who served as a priest and Elizabeth, the cousin of Mary the mother of Jesus. They observed the commands of God blamelessly. They were childless for a long time but they prayed to God. So even in their old age, John was given to them as the answer to their prayer.

In Luke 1:11-17 it is written:

11 Then an angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right side of the altar of incense. 12 When Zechariah saw him, he was startled and was gripped with fear. 13 But the angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to call him John. 14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born. 16 He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. 17 And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children and the disobedient to the wisdom of the righteous-to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."