Chapter 17- It's Not What You Think

K: Told you, you wouldn't update in two days!

*Sticks tonge out at S*

S: For your information I did write it but right when I was almost done my phone died and it didn't save so I had to re write it! Thank you very much!

*Sticks tonge out at K*

K: Whatever, can we start the book? You have a small tonge.

S: Shut up.

Enjoy!

LIGHTS! BOOK! READ!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sawyer's POV

I looked at Adam's painful expression and I had to look away. How could I not miss Jake? But I guess that I should be over it and this must be proving to him that I am broken.

"Right," Adam said his voice a little rough. "I should have known. Will you ever be over him do you think?" A little bit of hope flashed in his eyes as I looked back at him. My eyes filled with tears as I knew I couldn't give him the answer he wanted.

"I'm sorry." Was all I could say. He looked down at the floor, obviously disappointed.

"I can't compete with somebody that's dead." And with that he left again. I wasn't asking him to compete with Jake, I just wanted time to heal is all.

"Who's Jake?" I small voice said out of no where.

"Lily, Adam just left, I can call the nurse." I told her as I picked up the nurse call button.

"No." She said her throat obviously dry, she looked so small and helpless. "Just give me that water please?"

I shifted and fought the pain that laced me, she obviously didn't know what was happening and she didn't need to know how bad everything was.

After she drank some water she spoke again, "What happened?"

"You hit your head." I said while motioning to where she hit it.

She lightly touched the bump and winced. "Who's Jake?" She asked again.

"He's someone who's not here anymore." I almost choked out. I had to look away from her to stop myself from crying.

"What happened to him?" She asked. But when I didn't answer for awhile she decided to ask a different question, "Was he your boyfriend?" She said with a touch of sadness in he voice.

"No." I said as I turned my head to her, my face full of confusion. "He was my-"

But I got cut off as some nurses came in. "We need to take you to get X-rays." The nurse said looking at me as the others got me ready to go, then looked at Lily, "And you can go home as soon as your brother comes back." 

"Goodbye Lily." I said knowing I wouldn't see her again.

"Sawyer?" She called as they pushed me out of the room.

"Yeah?" I said as they paused for a moment.

"You're going to be okay, right?" She said again and I could hear the worry in her voice.

"Eventually. Tell your brother.... tell your brother that I understand and I wouldn't want to deal with all this either." I nodded to the nurse urging her to go.

"Sawyer!" Lily yelled but I told them to keep going, I blinked away welling tears and swallowed the big lump in my throat.

Adam's POV

I breathed in the fresh air once I was outside, but it didn't give me any relief. In my life I have wished for a lot of things, for a big happy family, happiness, a big house full of laughter. But I never wished for anything involving love and a girl. I tried to deny it, but I love Sawyer and she doesn't love me. This is just another cruel joke life has played on me once again. It was foolish for me to think I could actually have a happily ever after. My heart hurt and I didn't know how to fix it. I've only felt this pain one other time, when my family fell apart.