| 1 |

Walking through District Thirteen was always an experience. No one smiled, no one talked happily or loudly. It was always like you were wearing a deafening veil over your head when walking around. The only yelling was of the guards from the capitol that was making sure everything was running along smoothly.

Even on the day of the Reaping. You would think advertised festivities would cause some sort of light to shine into District Thirteen, but instead it was all even duller than before. Parents walking with bowed heads as if they were ashamed of having to follow their children to this. The small group of nineteen year old teens was the only ones who seemed one bit joyful, happy to have made it through six years of the reaping without their name ever getting called out. 

Now we stood just about 107 kids in line, if the records are correct, waiting for our attendance to be recorded in the book the guards kept, to make sure everyone showed up.

"Finger," the guard by the book spoke up and I extended my hand towards him.

Without hesitation he immediately pricked my middle finger.

"Name and age."

"Young Jiyeon. Seventeen."

Once again he didn't even hesitate before pressing my finger down on a designated square on a certain page. The one with my name on it. Birthdate too. 

He gestured with his hand for me to pass him, and I did. Only when I had gotten a few steps past him did I suck off the remaining blood from the tip of my finger - finding my place amongst the nine other girls my age. None of us really knew each other, I barely even knew their first names, let alone their last names.

The only thing I knew about the other girls was that they were equally as scared as me, one of them was the granddaughter of one of the former victors that had rioted during the rebellion after the 75th hunger games, someone from district four or something - I think.

Ahead of us stood the concrete built stage. Two glass bowls filled only a quarter with paper laps. To the corner of the stage, the president sat. I didn't know her name, I only knew she valued the old traditions - the only possibility these games had reason to continue. Meanwhile on the middle of the stage stood the most glamourously dressed man I had ever seen - glamourous enough to look crazy. 

"Welcome!" he gleefully called out once all kids was on the spots - worried parents standing around to watch the reaping nervously - frightened that their kid's name would be called out, "to the reaping of the 99th Hunger Games!"

Despite his tone of voice sounded like it would be obvious to cheer out of excitement it was completely silent. No claps, no cheers, not even a single whisper. The silence was more defeaning than the muffled and dull sounds that normally filled the district.

"Now... Old traditions called for a video about why the games are so important to our country," the man continued explaining in a very commentary and holy voice, "but due to the history of District Thirteen I am sure we're all very aware of why we're here. So! Let's start the reaping for this year's games! Of course manners are important! Ladies first!"

I looked down at my feet the moment he had taken a step closer towards the clear bowl with the girls' names in it. My breathing becoming slightly hitched as I tried to concentrate on containing my footing. 

"Please don't let it be my name," the girl beside me whispered as another gasped and murmured that he had picked out a lap of paper.

"Now... for the female tribute that will be presenting District Thirteen in this year's Hunger Games," the man on stage spoke up, "the female tribute from District Thirteen is... Young Jiyeon!"

I was pretty sure my lungs stopped working. It was then that the girls around me figured out who Young Jiyeon was. Each of them took at least two steps away from me, effectively creating a circle around me.

'If you ever get reaped you have to hold up your chin... makes the Capitol like you, to see confidence'

Slowly I lifted my head from having looked down at my feet. The words Jungwon had proudly spoken to me when we were fifteen still rung in my head. They always had, just in case. Besides, he should know how to win over the Capitol. Wasn't it winners from District Twelve that had won over all of their hearts and won the games through likeability from the public?

I sucked in a deep breath and just nodded to myself. Casually I walked out of the group of girls, and up towards the stage. I didn't acknowledge anyone on my way, no other kid, no other parent. Not even my own. Somewhere I heard my mom and brother yell out something, but I couldn't look at them. Not now. I barely even acknowledged the glamourous announcer once I got up on stage and stood beside him.

I didn't even listen. I didn't look anywhere but straight ahead. I only recognized the other tribute to be Andrew Palvin - a boy that looked to be around my own age as he stepped up on the stage. 

We shook each other's hands and almost immediately we were taken away. No chance of saying goodbye to anyone. No one in District Thirteen or Twelve was allowed to - due to the past of the districts.