prologue

─•❃✾❃•─

Park Yoona had expected many things when she transferred to Sunghan High School from her previous school in New Zealand, but that didn't mean she wasn't ready for anything.

She was the first child, the one who was expected to do well in her academic studies because Yoona was a model student. There was no one who could compare to her academic accomplishments. She would say she lived her youth in a library doing research on school papers and extracurricular work, instead of being young and enjoying life.

Her issues were overlooked or forgotten because she wasn't as loud or dramatic as her sister, Park Yeon-jin. She was constantly pushed by her mother and socital expectations to be the best, join clubs, do extra work for future college applications. She rarely let loose.

Yoona was perfect in every way that mattered.

Her family cames from a long line of generational wealth with their immediate family acting as the face of the legacy. A picture perfect face with a personality to match, that's all that society had to know in order to paint her as perfect. Yoona would like to say that she didn't care about how she was viewed by those around her, but it was a partial truth. Infact, she basked in all of the good attention that she received during charity events or public gatherings, eating up the non-stop praises that she received from friends and their parents and everyone else.

Her presence was marked by an air of quiet confidence, a sense of self-assuredness that seemed to set her apart from the typical chaos of her friends.

A lot of the time, she only spoke to her sister either when they were alone or in person when they had a class together. They both were polar opposites in a lot of ways, and they both knew this.

Yeonjin was the regular party girl always at clubs or galas, coming home at ungodly hours of the night. Meanwhile, Yoona was usually in bed early on and only leaving the house when necessary. Perhaps, it had something to do with how their mother treated each other differently.

Needless to say, she wasn't exactly a social butterfly. She was a tough cookie to crack but once you got to know her, she was, in Yeon-jin's words 'all soft and gooey on the inside'.

Back to the present─as she rounded the final corner of the school's obnoxiously long corridor, Yoona's stomach fluttered with excitement. It had been nearly four years since she's seen anyone─Yeon-jin, Sara, Myeong-o, Hye-jeong and Jae-jun.

School activities had kept her busy throughout the years, and she was beyond happy to be finally back.

As she entered her assigned classroom, she spotted Hye-jeong unpacking her bag with her back to the door, and before Yoona could help it, a squeal was falling from her lips, immediately running into her friend's arms for a hug.

"Yoona!" Hye-jeong shrieked, just as happy to see the brunette with brown eyes.

As the bell rung, the two friends rejoind their friend group at the gymnasium.

Stepping in, both quickly jogged over to where the rest of the group was chatting. Yoona was swept into a bone crushing hug by Jae-jun as soon as she was spotted and her feet lifted an inch or two off the ground. Once he let her go, Yoona was again tackled in a hug by her dear sister, Yeon-jin.