eighteen

A/N: unedited.

─•❃✾❃•─

"I was quite excited when you asked me out for a meal," Hye-jeong spoke, her gaze occasionally drifting to the elegant gift bag resting on the table before her. "I mean, I was curious about what you wanted." She added with a charming smile.

Her eyes darted toward the bag once more, this time not quite concealing her curiosity. "I must say, this is a surprise. What do you mean by it?"

"It's not meant to mean much," Do-yeong replied, reclining in his seat. "Think of it like a fruit basket. I didn't want to arrive empty-handed."

"I did ask Gyeong-tae for your information and all. I hope you're not uncomfortable with that," he continued.

"I'm not uncomfortable, just a bit nervous," Hye-jeong admitted, her eyes inevitably drawn to the bag again, reflecting a subtle desire.

"This is definitely my style, sir." Among the group of friends who had partaken in the unsettling episodes of bullying, Hye-jeong emerged as a figure, driven by a profound and distinct motivation that set her apart from the rest. Unlike her peers, who seemed to engage in acts of torment propelled by sheer boredom, cruelty, and malice, Hye-jeong's involvement bore the unmistakable stamp of a desperate desire – a desire to secure her position within the elevated echelons of high society that her friends inhabited.

To her companions, Hye-jeong had become a convenient instrument, a malleable figure willingly molded into whatever role served their purpose. She had willingly assumed the mantle of their 'gopher,' undertaking tasks and actions at their behest. Yet, her compliance wasn't rooted in the dark satisfaction of cruelty; instead, it stemmed from a profound understanding that such subservience granted her access to the treasures she yearned for, treasures that would otherwise remain tantalizingly out of reach.

The promise of idyllic ski trips to picturesque mountain resorts, the allure of possession of opulent and extravagant items, the prospect of leisurely gatherings at their resplendent estates – these were the proverbial carrots that dangled before Hye-jeong's eyes. It was a pursuit of social capital, a quest for social advancement, a relentless desire to transcend the constraints of her previous life.

In essence, Hye-jeong was a social climber, a soul determined to gain entry into the exclusive inner circles, craving recognition and acceptance amid the spheres of influence and privilege.

In the eyes of her discerning companions, this aspiration was evident, and they astutely harnessed it as a potent tool to further their own agendas. Hye-jeong's unwavering willingness to execute their bidding was the currency they exploited, ensuring that she remained firmly within the parameters they set. It was a symbiotic relationship, each party drawing upon the other for their respective pursuits in their lives.

Hers was not a tale of unadulterated wickedness but rather one of ambition, an ambition intricately woven into the complex fabric of high society, where morality often bowed to the relentless pursuit of personal gain and social elevation.

She reached for her cup and took a sip before the conversation shifted. "You know Moon Dong-eun?" Do-yeong asked, his gaze dropping to the table, seemingly disinterested.

Hye-jeong choked on her drink, coughing uncontrollably, which only made Do-yeong drag his gaze to her as he continued, "To be exact, I'd like you to tell me about the relationship between my wife and her."