four

─•❃✾❃•─

It wasn't even nine in the morning and Yoona already had to handle two emergencies through her phone. The quiet background buzz at the reception felt like home, and she greeted her secretary with a quick nod and a short good morning, walking straight to the elevators while her heels clicked on the polished floor.

Some days, she couldn't believe how far she'd come, and other days, like today, she was proud of herself for being able to laugh in the faces of those who believed women couldn't make it in business. This was her world, and she had entered it with her wit, charm, and determination ─ she wasn't the CEO of her company for nothing.

Her office is located at the highest level of the building, and she enjoyed the pretty view of the city from the huge glass windows and it was also decorated to her own liking. When the elevator reaches the designated floor, she makes her way to her office, people greeting her and a few bowing their heads. Yoona is greeted by her secretary, Chae-won. Her secretary greets her with a smile and proceeds to dictate the schedule for the day as she usually does every morning while she makes her way to her office.

"Oh, and I had an envelope come in for you earlier. It seemed important, so I thought you should be aware of it, Miss."

"Thank you, Chae-won. You may leave."

Yoona pokes at the envelope gingerly, narrowing her eyes in suspicion, before she finally slides a finger under the envelope flap, prying it open.

It was all there in black and white. It is proven that Jeon Jae-jun is the biological father of Ha Ye-sol.

It felt like she'd been horribly lied to. Infact, right now, her entire life felt like a lie. A part of her still hoped it wasn't true, the thought tore her to shreds. She wanted to fool herself into believing that Jae-jun harboured genuine love for her, hence why'd he marry her. But, further proof laid in the dna report. Images of Jae-jun holding Yeon-jin intimately, flashed through her mind. She saw him in bed with that woman, caressing and kissing her while Yoona waited for him at home. Hot tears blurred her eyes but she refused to let herself cry. She pushed the thoughts away from her mind. The tears stung in her throat every time she thought about it. Things could have been nice. She'd be a fool to wish for a fairy tale romance, but she'd wanted a genuine connection, at the very least. He didn't appear to feel the same.

And it angered her.

Her blood boiled thinking about it.

And she will not let him get away from this.

He will pay for the shame and hatred.

All of it.

Should the roles be reversed, Yoona would be vilified. Jae-jun could have his fun, but not her? He was allowed to break his wedding vows, but not her? She won't let him get away with it, and she knew exactly how to hurt that inflated ego of his.

─•❃✾❃•─

"Am I interrupting something?"

Dong-eun didn't bother to turn around at the familiar voice, "Yoona."

Dong-eun usually came out here to draw, really just to focus. It's the closest to peace she can get. Out here, it was just her, the cool breeze, and the night sky. Everything else was distant. Her surroundings, and her stress faded...if only for a brief moment. Above her were stars, hidden by approaching clouds. The pale moon shone through, leaving her with just enough light to maneuvere.

"It's a little impolite to make your friend search the entire building for you." Dong-eun hears her voice loud and clear behind her.

"I suggest you come in before you catch a cold." Yoona continues.

"It doesn't matter." Dong-eun muttered, drawing her legs up to her chest and glaring forlornly at the ground under her.

"But it does," Yoona pointed out, "I don't want my friend to get sick."

"You wouldn't have to worry anymore, I would just be gone." Dong-eun mumbled, but Yoona has already heard her.

She sighs and walks behind Dong-eun, staring at the ground, unsure whether she should settle on the filthy ground. She then curses and sits next to Dong-eun, leaving some room between them.

"But, that isn't what I want." She sighs for what seems like the hundredth time.

Yoona is already staring at Dong-eun with her doe eyes matching the starry sky as Dong-eun eventually turns her head to look at her. 'So cute.' Dong-eun wonders and smiles slightly.

Yoona's countenance brightens as she notices Dong-eun's smile, "Hey! What's so amusing?"

Dong-eun shakes her head, giggling.

Yoona took a glance at the sketchbook beside her where Dong-eun would draw her architectural sketches.

Dong-eun would leave the house after dark, when the city's activity had died down to a murmur and the only light came from the lamps along the streets and the moon high overhead. She'd look at the buildings as she passed, until she finally decided on one, and this is how she'd do her architectural sketches, late at night, where she could sit in silence. She would hunch over her sketchbook with the moonlight being her only source of light, her eyes straining to pick out the details and angles of the structure before her, committing them to paper.

The snow covered roof seemed to glow under the night sky, the surrounding was quiet, lit by the mellow glow of the moonlit sky and awash in the sound of gentle crickets, and the cool breeze, causing goosebumps to erupt on their skin. The night only continued to darken, releasing an infinity of stars into the inky sky. They both managed to crack jokes and make light of things, even if only for a short moment.

─•❃✾❃•─

"Mom?" Jae-jun's muffled voice spoke through the phone.

"Jae-jun," Yoona's mother, Hong Young-ae, said quietly.

"You need to get to the hospital as soon as you can."

"Why? What’s going on?"

"The baby...it's gone, Jae-jun."

"Gone? What do you mean gone?" He asked, panic rising in his voice.

"Yoona had a miscarriage."