nineteen

─•❃✾❃•─

Park Yoona had always had a better ring to it than Jeon Yoona anyway, she mused as she stepped into her office. The finalization of the divorce had led her through the courthouse corridors earlier, where she crossed paths with Jae-jun after days of separation. His face, once familiar, now wore the harsh imprints of stress—under-eye bags and sunken features. Not that she spared much thought for his deteriorated appearance; the sight of that unsightly figure irked her, especially as the first thing in the morning.

The official dissolution of their marriage had become a spectacle, a tempest that swiftly circled the globe and stormed through South Korea's collective consciousness.

'The illustrious founder of PY Corporation, Park Yoona, has concluded her chapter with Jeon Jae-jun, the owner of CC Golf Resorts.'

'The transition from Jeon Yoona to Park Yoona set tongues wagging, prompting a collective curiosity about the unraveling of one of the industry's most influential unions.'

'Divorce concluded with Park Yoona: What actions of Jeon Jae-jun paved the path to this finality?'

Despite the varied headlines, public sentiment unmistakably leaned in one direction—toward Park Yoona. She was the darling of the masses, the adoration flowing towards the carefully crafted image she had cultivated. The image that she hid behind all these times.

Love felt so foreign in this life.

Yoona settled into her desk chair, releasing a weary sigh. The persistent ache in her muscles seemed to defy the solace that sleep offered.

The abrupt entrance of an uninvited guest disrupted her contemplation, drawing her gaze upward.

"To what do I owe the... pleasure?" She quipped, meeting Yeon-jin's gaze as the latter approached from the opposite end of the desk.

"What do you want?"

"You're in my office. What do you want?"

"Why are you so set upon ruining my life? Yours is already in ruins, and now you're trying to drag mine down?" Yeon-jin's words sliced through the air, a whispered accusation meant for Yoona's ears alone.

"And who's responsible for the ruins of both?" Yoona retorted with a click of her tongue, feigning disappointment as she reclined dramatically in her chair. "Honestly, I can't decide whether I should thank you for sparing me from a lifetime with that awful person." She continued.

"I'm asking you again! What do you want?"

"It's ironic coming from you, considering I'm the one who went through a divorce. Oh, by the way, Yeon-jin, when you're ready for your divorce, I've got a great lawyer in mind. She's a close friend of mine." Yoona couldn't help the grin that spread on her face as she witnessed the anger on Yeon-jin's face.

"Now, please leave. Unlike you, I have work to do instead of dawdling around."

"I won't leave until you tell me what you know about So-hee."

"I know enough to put your entire group behind bars. But don't worry, I won't expose it to the public; that's someone else's job. You should be more concerned about her than me."