1.3

It's been two weeks since Bella's pregnancy and Verena ever saw Paul. She only gave him a few calls, saying that she would be in Denali to help the coven with something. Lucky for her, Paul didn't sense anything suspicious about her excuse.

"It's not getting any better Carlisle, Bella's condition is getting worse. Maybe Verena is right after all." Alice voice out.

She was right. Every day, the human condition deteriorates. Because the foetus was incompatible with her human body, she was malnourished. Verena sought to locate the answers in her grimoires, and Carlisle tried to find them in the legend, but nothing was found. They tried everything to find solutions. Verena's dream continued. This time, the ancestors warned her that an unborn child will cause harm to the world and that she must destroy it before it is too late. The hybrid was unsure if she should betray her family by killing it without consulting them simply because her 'family' demanded it.

"Nothing can change my mind, Alice." As expressed by Bella. 

"Even if I torture Edward?" Verena inquired, drawing a look from Bella.

"I called Jacob. He's coming in a minute." Edward said.

Verena turned to face Edward, her eyes wide open. "Why would you involve him in this matter?"

"Maybe he can talk Bella through with this."

"Involving him will resulted with Paul find out that I have been lying to him for 2 weeks, Edward."

He remained silent. To be honest, he didn't much care about Paul.

Jacob arrived not long after. He was surprised to find Verena in the living room, but he didn't say anything because he was too pleased to meet Bella. As he saw Bella's swollen stomach, his expression shifted.

"You did this!" Emmett held Jacob back as he raced towards Edward.

"We didn't think it was possible," Carlisle explained.

Jacob's gaze was drawn to Verena. "You've been lying to Paul? To us?"His face was flushed with rage.

"I didn't have a choice." She backed herself up. 

Jacob rushed out of the house, and no one knows where he went. 

"Congratulations, Edward. You just make everything better." Verena said sarcastically before leaving the room. 

+ + +

Hours passed. Jacob returned with news that the pack planned to kill the infant because it posed a threat to the pack and the Cullen had violated the treaty by making unhuman beings. Paul hasn't been responding her messages since he discovered the truth. Verena tried contacting him several times, but each time it went to voicemail. She blamed Jacob in part for his stupidity, but it was also her fault for lying to Paul.

Verena created a barrier spell around the house so that no one could enter or exit, and only she could escape if she wanted or needed to. They objected at first, but recognised it was in their best interests.

Verena stood outside with the wolves; none of them said anything. 

"Paul was hurt, you know," Leah was the first to break the tension.

The hybrid sighed. "I know."

"We all could feel his disappointment before we left." It was Seth who said it this time. His voice sounded sorrowful to her.

Verena didn't say anything; she kept quiet. Instead, she just walked forward towards the barrier that she created. 

"Where are you going?" Jacob asked.