0.5

Third POV

Verena chose not to be at the practice. She doesn't want to see Paul. Her heart still aches from what he said the other day. She hated being this sensitive.

She left a note on the fridge saying she would be gone for a day.

I won't be gone for long.
2 days max.
I will be here before the battle starts.
Oh, and Alice, don't even try to use your power on me.

~Verena

She drove the car to Tacoma, Washington, to see her old friend. He knew she was awake and sent her a message saying he wanted to meet her.

FLASHBACK

She has loved reading ever since she was a kid. With all the books she had, she could have her own bookstore.

She was trying to find a book that could attract her when she felt something in her palm. It was crumpled paper.

She looked around to make sure there was no one with her. She read the note on the paper.

You could've call. Let's meet. You know where.

Verena immediately knew who sent it. Her only friend whenever she decided to be reckless.

"Classic move,"

END FLASHBACK

After almost 4 hours of driving, she finally arrived at the location where she and her friend used to go ever since they knew each other. They first met in New York in 1912, and she will find him to be her true self from then on. He never asked her to change, and she liked that.

She looked around the bar, where they used to have drinks together.

"Hello, Verena." She recognised that British accent. She turned around to see him sitting on the table in the corner of the bar. She walked up to him and sat.

"Hello, Niklaus." She greeted him with a smile. She missed him; his mischievous grin was all over his face.

"I'm hurt that my witch told me that you've woken up. "You could've called me right away," he was clearly waiting for her to find him.She was his one and only friend.

"I know; I'm sorry. I should've, but something happened." She explained to him the reason why she didn't call him the moment she was awake.

Niklaus scanned her face. After a century of knowing each other, she still looked the same, and he was captivated by her beauty. If she had given him a chance to prove to her that he was worthy of her love, he would've done that by now. But he knows she's not capable of romantic love. She never believed in love. Yes, they did have their moments together, but that was in the past. She'd changed.

"Is there something you wanted to say?" She realised he was staring at her. She didn't like it. The only time he did that was when he was thinking. Niklaus' mind was unpredictable.

"My witch still can't find Katerina." She became annoyed at the mention of that name.

"It's been almost 500 years, Nik. Her doppelganger would've been born by now. How about you find her? For sure, Katerina will be there."

"Come with me, like the old times." His voice softened, trying to persuade her to go with him.

Verena just looked at him with a sad expression. "You know I can't. My days are over, Nik. That's why I went to sleep for years, to make sure those days were over."

He nodded, accepting her decision. He knew about her family and her goals to be better. He felt bitter about it at first, she was leaving him, leaving him alone in a world where everyone hated him. Even his own family.

"If I can change, you can too, Nik. Just try," she said softly, holding his hand. She wanted her friend to be better too. God knows how many enemies they made together.

"I'll think about it after I get what I want." He gave her his usual smirk.

"You don't need those armies; all you need is your family." She knew that he kept his family in a coffin somewhere. He loved them, but he was scared that they were going to leave him. The fear of abandonment in him didn't help him.

"I know what I'm doing, worry about your own family." He snapped at her. She returned her hand to her lap. Niklaus will never listen to anyone but himself.

"Well, since we're here and away from Forks, how about we find something to eat?" With a mischievous grin, he suggested. He knew she could never resist his offer. He stood up and offered his hand.

"Damn you, Mikaelson." She cursed him and took his hand. She will definitely go home with red eyes.

They walked hand in hand. "You know, i think Verena Mikaelson sounds better, you should marry me." He said it with a playful smile.

"I would rather marry your sister."

He laughed. "I knew you would say that."

+++

She did return home with bloodshot eyes. Niklaus gifted her a box full of bags of human blood after she complained to him about the taste of animal blood. He always teased her for being a vegetarian.

"Do I smell human blood? Really Verena?" Carlisle scolded her as soon as she stepped into the house. Esme looked at her with a disappointed look.

"You want me to fight, right? I need it to be stronger. Those animals' blood won't give me the power I need. As soon as the fight is over, I'll go back to an animal diet. I promise," she explained to them. She didn't lie about it; it was true. Carlisle knows it.

"Put it in your room; make sure Jasper won't have access to it," Esme said with a soft voice. She was a bit disappointed with her daughter, but she understood.

Verena sped to her room and put all the blood in the fridge she has in her room. She was too lazy to go to the kitchen most of the time, so she bought a mini fridge to store her food and drinks.

She went to the living room after she finished stacking the blood bags. She took a place next to Esme, who was reading a book, laying her head on Esme's lap. The mother smiled at her daughter's behaviour. Verena can be clingy when she wants to be. She put down the book and began to play with her daughter's hair.

"So, how was the practice? Did Emmett lose?" Verena looks up to her mother. She really wanted to know if her brother sucked or not.

"He did," Esme chuckled, recalling a fight in which Jasper had beaten him.

"I bet he didn't take it well." Verena could see Emmett's reaction to losing.

"You know it,"

"Mom,"

"Hm?" Esme looked at her daughter. She had this feeling that Verena was keeping something from her.

"I found him. My mate."