Chapter 5: The Sun Summoner and the Privateer

'No point in denying it, Miss Starkov,' Sturmhond said as the ship sailed further away from Weddle Harbour. 'You are the Sun Summoner.'

'You're right.' She opened her hands and two large balls of light formed, illuminating the room with a huge white glow. The privateer whistled. 

'Impressive. And it's not often that I say that.'

'Let us go. Or you'll be out 20 million kruge and a ship.' Sturmhond chuckled, rising from his seat and going to pour a glass of whiskey for himself. 

'While I am well aware you could consign us all to the watery deep,' he replied, 'you should really consider how far from the docks we are. Besides, I'm not handing you over to the Fjerdans.'

'You're not?'

'Saints, no.' He balked for a moment. 'Sorry, is it offensive to say that in the presence of a living Saint?' Mal sighed, sitting down as Alina walked behind him. 

'Alright. What do you want with us, then?' Mal asked. 

'With you? Nothing,' Sturmhond replied. Alina looked behind her, seeing the soldier in the mustard-coloured leathers give her a nod and sit down. 'Honestly, I'm not even sure who you are.' Sturmhond looked back at Alina. 'But the Sun Summoner... well you have to know you're quite valuable.'

'You just said you wouldn't turn her in for a bounty, pirate,' Mal spat. 

'Privateer,' Sturmhond snapped. 'And what I said was I wouldn't hand her into the Fjerdans. I said nothing of the Kerch or Shu. I paid a small fortune to empty the dock and make sure you got onto my ship. And frankly, I think the Fjerdans are seriously undervaluing you.'

'You're right,' Alina said. 'They are. Because you'll be able to ask the King of Ravka for twice as much.' 

'You know the King?' Sturmhond asked with a sly smile. 

'I'm the Sun Summoner.' 

'By all accounts, the First Army have now turned their sights on Grisha. Thanks to what you and your conspirator did in the Fold.'

'The Darkling and I were not partners.'

'You know, your friend - what was her name? Adela? The Darkling's sister? She confirmed your story. I met her, in Ketterdam.' Alina said nothing. 

'Adela helped me escape the Darkling while fleeing herself.' She drew herself up to her full height and looked him in the eye. 'You may believe otherwise, but once I tear down the Fold and reunite Ravka, the world will see I am not his ally. Help us, and you'll be rewarded.' Sturmhond leaned back slightly. 

'To tear down the Fold?' he asked softly. 'And how do you plan on doing that exactly?' he added with a scoff of disbelief. 

'By hunting Morozova's Sea Whip.' 

'Alina,' Mal gently chided, but she put her hand out to silence him. Sturmhond smiled, taking a sip of the whiskey. 

'I suppose if the Stag existed, the Sea Whip and the Firebird might as well.' He looked up at her with a smile. 'You couldn't do it with one amplifier. But two...'

'Unburdened by General Kirigan. Under my own power. Will you help us or not?' Sturmhond stood to his feet, walking away from them. 

'There's adventure, danger, money...' He turned back to them with a broad, cheeky smile. 'Now you're speaking my language.' He inhaled the rest of the whiskey, slamming the glass on the table with a dull thud. 

In Ketterdam... 

Inej slid into the seat in front of Jesper.