───── 00

Jennie Sato learned rather quickly that people weren't made equal

In this new society, people cared about power. If you didn't have any power, then you were considered worthless ─ below those who did, like a lesser breed of sorts. And god-forbid if you did have power, but used it to accomplish your own, selfish desires, then you were even worse. 

You would be considered scum.

Villains.

There was no more mixed colors in the world anymore. People only saw things in black and white. In good and evil. Hell, it didn't even matter if you yourself were a good person, if your power ─ your quirk, wasn't considered "good" by society, then you can say goodbye to having a normal life, and just get used to your place in the pile of scum. 

And yet people saw no wrong in this. They practically worshiped the "heroes", and almost every child's dream was to become one. Of course, that dream usually faded once they grew up. Parents, teachers, and almost every adult out there, talked up heroes and talked down villains ─ telling their kids from early ages not to ever, ever be like a villain. No one had any problem with the treatment of those that didn't fit the standard. No one cared.

After all,

why would you care about villains?

Jennie took a long drag of her cigarette

Jennie took a long drag of her cigarette. After she breathed in, she let the cigarette balance in her mouth, digging around her pocket in her baggy black jeans for her phone. When she found it, she unlocked it before punching in some numbers. She waited a couple seconds before a groggy voice answered, "hello?"

"Hey,"Jennie paused taking a drag of her cigarette, "I just wanted to let you know that I'll be late today ─ some guy's fooling around and ended up drawing heroes and a crowd. The trains are blocked off, so I don't know when I'll get there."

The person of the other side of the line scoffed, "seriously? You're skipping school again?" there was a shuffle before their voice continued, "I'm honestly surprised that you haven't been kicked out yet, kid."

"Well you're not the only one," the girl huffed, "They aren't expelling me 'cause when I do come to school I do better work then anyone else ─ they don't have the guts to kick out their smartest student." The other person laughed before Jennie continued. "Anyways I gotta go now, see ya' later, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah ─ see ya' kid."

Slipping the phone back into her pocket, she turned around and started pushing her way through the crowd that had gathered. 

"Excuse me─" she murmured, when she bumped into people, "I'm in a bit of a hurry here if you don't mind─"

She wasn't in a hurry, of course.
Though they didn't need to know that.

After exiting the eager crowd, the dark-haired girl turned onto another street. However, she barely even stepped foot back onto the sidewalk when a body suddenly came crashing into hers. 

"Watch out─!"

The warning came far too late for her to move out of the way, leaving a sprawled mess of her and some other kid across the edge of the street. Jennie groaned, head aching, a garbled "fuck," leaving her glossed lips. It seems like that brought the other person back from the shock of the fall as well, as they instantly scrambled out a mess of hurried apologies, 

"Oh my god, I am so─so, sorry! I was just to excited and wasn't paying attention─I didn't mean to bump into you─"

"Okay, okay, that's─that's enough, I accept your apology," Jennie grimaced, clutching her head as she stood up before finally looking over at the boy who crashed into her clumsily. Her eyes landed on a mop of dark green hair, green eyes, freckles on both cheeks (which seemed rather red ─ probably from embarrassment), and a face which had a very guilty expression on it; almost like a kicked puppy. The boy looked vaguely familiar, but she decided not to dwell on it.

"You sure?" The quiet voice of the green-haired boy entered her ears, she held back a wince from the ringing pain; shit, that impact on her head had hurt more than what she had thought.

"Yeah, don't worry 'bout it ─ it's no big deal Just watch were you're going next time." She offered him a hand up, which he took, after grabbing what seemed to be his school bag. It was then that she glanced down at his uniform, "Oh, are you on the way to school?" she asked. 

The boy nodded, "yes." 

Jennie fished out a box of cigarettes from her pant pocket before putting one in her mouth and grabbing her lighter. "Just to warn you, there's a large crowd blocking the train station ─ who knows when they'll get those working, so you might wanna find another way to get to school." After flicking her lighter a couple times and letting the flame touch her cigarette, she turned her gaze back to the boy ─ who, for some reason, didn't seem surprised by her words. Actually, he almost looked excited. 

"Oh─ thank you for telling me, uh," he fumbled, not knowing what to call her─

"Sato." She interrupted the boy, "just call me Sato."

He smiled, "thank you for the advice Sato, but I think I'll go anyways."

Jennie rose a brow in a questioning manner, but didn't ask him any further questions.
She shrugged, "well, okay then. Good luck. Have a good day at school─"

"Wait─" the green-haired boy called out her again. "Uhm, pardon me if this is a rude question, but don't you have school too..?" When he didn't get an answer from her, the boy immediately fumbled, face turning red and spewing out more apologies for his 'insensitive' question. 

"Nah," Jennie turned around, pausing her stride. 

"I'm sorry─ I just assumed cause you seemed like you might be around my age so─"

The dark-haired girl held back a groan of annoyance at his continued theatrics. "Don't apologize, it's a harmless question," she took another inhale of her cigarette, "and to answer it more clearly, I do have school, I'm just choosing not to go." Her carnation colored eyes swept over his uniform. "and to answer your other question, I'd say we are around the same age if you're in middle school ─ I'm in my third year."

"Oh," he breathed out, relieved. "I see."

"Anyways, I really gotta go now," she turned around, raising her hand up in a mock salute, "bye bye, now. Have a good day at school, and try to look where you're going next time, will you?"

The boys face flushed.