───── 05

Her dad was home that night

Apparently Jennie's mom was so freaked out about the sludge villain attack, that she had called him frantically, pleading for him to return ─ as soon as Jennie and Kenji got home. Even though her dad might've been a horrible person, and a shitty excuse for a husband and parent; he did have a strong quirk. Honestly, Jennie believed that to be the reason why her mom had never requested for a divorce before.  

When Jennie and Kenji got home, after their mom had called their dad, Jennie left Kenji in her mom's care for an actual dinner, while she went to go get changed. The dark-haired girl threw off her varsity jacket, her uniform, and let her hair come down from the ponytail it was in, before she changed into loose gray sweatpants, and a thin strapped black tank top. Jennie placed down her necklaces, and unpacked her school bag; placing the cigarette box into the sweatpants pocket. 

When she was done, she heard her mom call her and ask if she could put Kenji to bed; while she talked with her father. Jennie's expression soured, but she did it anyways.

After tucking Kenji into bed; he had fallen asleep almost as soon as his head hit the pillow, Jennie quietly walked down the steps towards the kitchen as she needed to grab some water before she herself would retire to her room. However, she then paused after hearing muffled talking coming from it. 

"I─I don't know, Masao," her mother's timid voice whispered, "I just don't think that a hero school will be a good choice ─ b─besides, you should've at least asked─" 

The sound of a chair scrapping against the floor made the whole room go quiet.

Jennie chewed on her lip, before taking her chances and stepping out from the shadows of the stairwell. Her slippers made just enough noise for her to be detected by the two adults. 

Masao, her father, and her mother, Hikari, both turned. Her mother turned her whole body; a guilty expression on her face, while her father just turned his head slightly before looking away. 

"Jennie." His stern voice sounded throughout the house ─ he sound surprisingly sober. "Take a seat, will you?"

Jennie sat down.
It wasn't a question.

Masao clasped his hands together, "so," he started, "I've been thinking that it's about time for us to decide what you're going to do with your future ─ and what High School you're going to go to."

Jennie's eyes widened in surprise, her hands that were under the table tightened on the fabric of her gray sweatpants. 

What the actual fuck was he talking about.
Usually, he never brought up the topic of school with her ─ hell, he was barely even part of her life.

"Now," he continued calmly, as if he hadn't just shaken up her whole world, "the truth is, I've already consulted some schools for you ─ that's why I've been gone even longer." Her father didn't even glance in Jennie's direction one time throughout this whole speech. "And, after discussing with multiple schools, and people alike," he paused, finally, finally looking at Jennie's pale, shaken face, "I've decided that UA High would be the best place for you to go."

Jennie's breath caught in her throat.

But her father still wasn't done talking. "The truth is, you need something like that school to shape you up properly; you have a strong quirk, but you never use it. You have the ability to become a popular hero and get good cash for it─"

Don't react.
Don't react,
she repeated inside her head.
You know how things get when you react.
Don't react─

"What the actual fuck?" 

Goddammit.