───── 10

A low hum slipped out of Jennie's lips

Her eyes dipped down to the phone that she held in her hand─

dabi
the fuck you at? giran says youre not with him

jennie
out
i had a busy day

dabi
stupid answer
where are you

Jennie smiled, a huff leaving her mouth before texting back her location and closing her phone, slipping it onto the concrete beside her. The dark haired girl shifted her legs and pulled the sleeves of her hoodie around her fingers. A light breeze blew under the bridge, across the railways, ruffling the edges of Jennie's loose hair. She raised her sweater-covered hands above the lower half of her face and leaned into them ─ her long red nails pressing into plush lips. 

"Siren."

"That's my quirk," she had said earlier, "in theory, when activated it allows me to, well, manipulate or change people's opinions with the tone of my voice." Jennie shrugged, "that's what it should do anyway, and to be honest that's a rather poor 'n basic explanation, however─"

"Wait, but─" Jiro interrupted, slightly confused, "does it only work on people? or can it work on inanimate objects─"

"No." Jennie shook her head, "I mean," she smiled, lips curling, "I managed to pass the entrance exam, didn't I? And that was robots."

Another sharp gust of wind brought Jennie out of her recollection, harshly shoving her back to reality. 

The girl curled into herself, pressing her hands harsher into her face and her legs closer to her body. Her sneakers scuffing on the ground when she moved. In truth, the hoodie that she wore really did nothing to help with the cold, and neither did the black jorts that she had on help either. Jennie pulled the large hood over her head, covering her loose hairs as her earring chimed, one of the few noises besides the echoes of street life above her.

Well, that was before she heard the footsteps anyways.

Things hadn't changed much.

Not from Dabi's perspective at least. The street lamps were mainly all broken, and if they weren't broken, then flickering and close to dying. Cool winds traveled through the lower parts of the city ─ shattered glass was scattered across the ground, litter, and other bits and pieces of things were as well.

This part of town wasn't friendly.

Most people that came here after all, were looking for trouble.

And he knows.
He himself had cremated over a few men here, their ashes were probably scattered with the rest of the trash.

It's then, when he reaches the end of the street, that he spots her just as another sharp breeze passes through. The younger girl is sitting on one of the sloped concrete edges above the river, just under the railroad tracks. 

One of the few lasting streetlamp flickers overhead.

As the breeze passes, Dabi hears the familiar flick of a lighter, and smell of a cigarette. 

"Want one?" the cool voice of Jennie rings out, Dabi's eyes glued to her form that was still facing away from him, before she shifted, stood up and turned around. Dabi stepped out into the streetlight, hand meeting Jennie's as she handed him his own.

"You sure ya should be out this late?" Dabi questioned, glancing down at Jennie's smaller form as he flicked his cigarette with the tip of his finger; quirk lighting it. 

Jennie shrugged, sitting down on the ground once more, "'s not important," she played with her earring, "my dad and mom don't care."

Dabi raised a brow, huffing smoke. He hummed, "yeah?" 

Jennie gave no response for a moment, merely staring right ahead. She sighed, "yeah." The girl puts out the cigarette on the ground, before fumbling around in her pack for another and flicking her lighter. Nothing happens. She try again, and nothing happens.

Piece of shit is empty.

Jennie groans, unlit cigarette still balancing in her mouth. A hand grabs the broken lighter from her, Dabi glances over it, inspecting it. "Wow, this is sure fancy," he mused.

"I stole it, " Jennie groused, nails pressing into her hair, "'s from a designer brand or something ─ I didn't have the money to pay."

Dabi crack a smile, before tossing the lighter across the railroad tracks behind him; clinking as it fell. 

"Designer or not, 's a piece of shit for not working," he looked back towards Jennie, "come with me, " he turned around, stepping over the tracks. 

"Huh?" Jennie swiveled, but the man gave no other response, continuing across the tracks. She sighed, a small smile broke across her face─

"Okay."