[3] The Fire Inside

< < < < < < < < < < < < <

As the sun gradually descended below the horizon, it marked the conclusion of yet another day during your weeks-long expedition. "What a day..." You said, nearly dragging your feet on the ground.

I need to find a place to rest...

You scanned the area but only saw a long stretch of plain grasslands.

This was a bad idea, but it's too late to return now...

You got lost quickly and felt anxious about your location until you came across a big willow tree in the middle of what looked like fields of fire flowers.

Perfect!

You walked over to the tree and placed your bag on the ground. Sitting down and leaning against the tree, you sighed in relief.

The starry night sky and the bright full moon illuminated the area perfectly.

There wasn't a single cloud in sight either.

"What a view..." You whispered, feeling heavy-eyed, indicating your body's urge to sleep. Despite resisting it, your eyes eventually closed, and you thought you had lost the battle.

Suddenly, a gust of wind caused the tree above you to sway violently, causing your eyes to snap open. However, you were unprepared for what you saw when you looked up through the branches - a massive airship flying in the sky.

It was none other than the feared Bowser's form of transportation.

The King of the Koopas.

No way!

I've only heard about him and his army through Peach and the toads of the kingdom.

What are they doing here of all places?

The bigger question is, is he as scary as everyone makes him out to be?

From the descriptions, he sounds like a terrifying lizard-turtle creature who breathes fire and wants to take Princess Peach for himself.

Which is fair.

Though kidnapping her is not the way to go.

As the airship approached, it aimed to land close to your location. You took cover behind a tree and peered out cautiously.

The ship settled onto the ground, and the boarding ramp extended.

This was your first time seeing the Koopa King in person, standing at an imposing height of 6'3 to 6'4. He had fiery red hair and eyes, and his tan skin was almost dark. His well-defined muscles seemed excessive for a villain, and his attire was unique, featuring a green spiked cape that trailed behind him. A pair of horns on top of his head, a scaly tail and wore loose black pants. Though he was a 'bad guy', you found him strangely attractive...

No, (F/n)!

You must stay focused!

You mentally scolded yourself and quickly dismissed such thoughts.

Bowser Jr., his eleven-year-old son, ran ahead of him, jumping and playing in the nearby flowers. You could have sworn that Bowser smiled as he watched his son's antics. Your knowledge of the two was limited, but you suspected that Bowser Jr. might follow in his father's footsteps. You kept your eyes fixed on the two as they strolled further, coming to a halt at the center.

Junior tugged on Bowser's arm, begging him for something. "Papa, please! You gotta do it!"

Bowser sighed. "In a minute, Junior. I have to prepare first." He said, rotating his neck.

What's he doing?

You question curiously, observing the man.

He inhaled deeply and puffed out his chest. From the profound depths of his body, he blew out a string of fire, setting ablaze the fire flowers.

What a cruel act!

One would automatically think.

Right?

But no!

It was the exact opposite.

As soon as Bowser's fire showered the once-dull flowers, they lit up like the sun. The effect reached where you stood, causing you to climb up a tree, fearing getting burned.

Bowser Jr. jumped up and down excitedly while his father continued his actions.

Without warning, every flower was full of life, and the effect extended as far as the eye could see.

The light reflecting in your eyes momentarily made you forget about feeling tired.

"How is that for a light show?!" Bowser joyfully lifted Junior into the air, eliciting happy laughter from him.

The heartwarming scene left a positive impression.

He's so kind to his child...

I like that...

After that brief interaction from a distance you witnessed of a father and his son, you gained a new perspective on Bowser. Despite his villainous reputation, you felt compelled to find the good in him and understand his motives. While not everyone who is cruel has a justifiable reason, you had a hunch there was more to Bowser's story than you had been led to believe.

Since that day, you couldn't get him out of your head.

Beyond his attractive appearance, you appreciated his kindness towards Junior. It made you wonder if he could show the same compassion to others one day.

Though a simple memory, it touched your heart deeply.

A flame ignited within you, but you hoped it wouldn't consume you entirely.

TIL THE NEXT CHAPTER! ('')